twenty-two

twenty-two || mothers expectations of perfection

ʚ♡ɞ

"I don't want to be perfect anymore."

The whole table went silent when Beomgyu had said that, all of them staring at him with widened eyes, especially Yeonjun who stopped midway from taking a bite out of his sotteok.

"Repeat that?" Soobin asked the male gently, knowing he might feel slightly overwhelmed after saying that.

"I-I..." Beomgyu shut himself up, why did he even say that? He just ruined the vibe! All they wanted to do was hang out together at the new tteokbokki place, but instead he ruined it. "Nevermind—"

"Hey! No!" Yeonjun scoffed, his mouth full of rice cake. "Yew newwed two twell us!"

"Can you not talk with your mouth so fucking full?" Taehyun stared at the male in disgust, diverting his attention back to Beomgyu who seemed nervous.

"I-I just... my mother has been so..." Beomgyu paused, yet the four of them waited patiently for him to continuing knowing that this was something sensitive to him. "Ever since exams, she's been more uhm... stricter and less nice."

"I think she's becoming more upset with you the more you defy her rules, which you should defy more. Studying for fourteen hours is not good for you Gyu." Yeonjun shrugged, handing the male some strawberry meringue cookies.

"Do you really think that...?" Beomgyu frowned.

It had been nearly two week since exams and nearly a week since his call with Taehyun on the night he lied to his mother about studying. After that, he began to notice his mother becoming more stricter with him, even taking his phone for a couple of hours until he proven himself that he studied the maximum time she desired. If he was honest... it was draining him so much.

"I-I don't know much..." Huening Kai spoke up shyly, causing all four of them to look at him. "I don't wanna assume much, but it... a-as... your friend..."

"Hyuka..." Taehyun mumbled softly, noticing the male was becoming anxious.

"I just wanted to say that... you shouldn't drain yourself! If- If you don't want to be perfect then don't! I-I like you better when you're not ruining yourself! Please stay healthy B-Beomgyu hyung!" Huening Kai spoke loudly before covering his face in embarrassment.

It must've taken him a lot to even say that since the male looked like he was about to burst out in tears.

Beomgyu smiled warmly at Huening Kai, gently grabbing his hand he gave the male an approving nod. "I appreciate it, Hyuka."

"Have you tried talking to your mother?" Soobin asked him, attempting to steal a gimmari from Yeonjun's plate who smacked him gently.

Talk to... my mother...?

Beomgyu never thought about voicing his emotions and thoughts to his mother, in fact, he doesn't remember if he had ever spoke about his feelings honestly to his mother at all. It felt awkward to him, even the thought about showcasing his discomfort and sadness to his mother made him want to puke.

"I can't..." He mumbled softly, picking at his tteokbokki that started to go cold. "She won't listen to me."

"Make her listen to you." Taehyun spoke up, staring at Beomgyu with soft eyes.