𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

THERE WAS NOTHING WORSE THAN SPENDING you lunch in detention

THERE WAS NOTHING WORSE THAN SPENDING you lunch in detention. Well, there were a lot of things worse, but it certainly did not feel like that to April at that moment. Harris, the biggest jackass of all of the teacher, was assigning jobs to pairs as she twirled a pencil in between her fingers.

"The two of you will wash all the boards in this hall. Reshelving the library," he informed the first and second pairs what their jobs would be before landing on April and her partner. "Restocking the janitor's closet."

April's eyes widened when she realized that the person in front of her, her partner, was Isaac. This was going to be one awkward interaction between the two of them, especially since she had been dodging his questions. She could not give him the satisfaction of letting him know she liked him if he did not like her back. That would be humiliating. 

So, they grabbed the boxes in the corner of the room and silently headed to the janitor's closet. As they walked in, leaving the door open, his elbow bumped into her shoulder a bit. He muttered, "Sorry."

"Are you okay?" she questioned when she realized how nervous he was. His voice was a bit shaky and he was glancing at the door constantly as if he was scared they were going to get locked in there.

"Yeah, yeah," he replied with a nod, taking a deep breath as they began to stack boxes of cleaning supplies on the shelves. "I'm just...I'm not a fan of small spaces."

She froze when she remembered that his father had locked him in a freaking freezer, and she cursed herself for not realizing it sooner. After a moment of silence, she asked, "So, uh, how'd you get detention?"

"Those stupid twins somehow convinced Harris that I beat one of them up," he explained, and she could tell that there was more to the study and that he just summarized it for her. "Who was that guy that got you in trouble?"

"Oh, uh, Elijah. He's Ms. Blake's brother, and it wasn't his fault. He didn't know I was skipping," she told him, kind of stumbling through the sentence because did not really want to talk to Isaac of all people about a guy. Not that Elijah was a possible boyfriend because he was not.

He frowned, finally looking at her, and she stopped what she was doing when her eyes met his. He breathed out, "I still don't like him." She realized that their shoulders were touching, and she tensed up a bit when she saw how close he was.