𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

APRIL WAS SLEEPING PEACEFULLY WHEN SHE FELT a hand on her head

APRIL WAS SLEEPING PEACEFULLY WHEN SHE FELT a hand on her head. She was awake, but she did not open her eyes because she was so tired. She heard humming in the background, and she smiled slightly, knowing that it was just her mother and not some stranger that crept into her room.

The woman continued stroking her hair, humming the tune of a lullaby that she used to sing to her daughter. The half-asleep blonde girl opened her eyes and rolled over to look up at the woman. Her voice was soft like it was when she was little. "Mom, what are you doing?"

"I had a nightmare that something happened to you," the woman explained, and her face held an almost sad smile, like something was still wrong. April just brushed it off as her still being scared. "I just wanted to make sure that you were okay."

"Thanks, Mom," the blonde girl whispered, and she rolled back over onto her side as her mother continued to run her fingers through her hair and slowly untangling all of the knots.

She informed her daughter, "I love you, April."

"I love you too, Mommy," the young girl responded with a huge grin plastering her face as she wrapped her arms tightly around the pillow in front of her, feeling safe and sound now that her mother was there.

The next thing that her mother said made the blonde girl turn back around immediately and stare up at the woman in shock because her voice got suddenly dark as she sneered, "Then why did you kill me?"

"What?" the girl questioned, moving her head back a little bit from the woman because of how scared she was. She was so confused, and she wondered was possessed her mother to say such a thing to a little girl.

"You killed her." April jumped again when she heard another voice from her other side. She whipped around to see her aunt, Ashley, lying on the bed on her other side. Her eyes were dark and accusing as well. "You killed us."

"I'm sorry," the Sharpe girl breathed out, her voice shaky as she backed away from both of them, trying to press herself in the covers and the mattress as if somehow, someway, it would make her disappear or protect her from the glaring eyes of her family.