𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

THE SWINGING CHORD WHIPPED DOWN TOWARD THE PARKING LOT, and all of their eyes widened as they watched it fall

THE SWINGING CHORD WHIPPED DOWN TOWARD THE PARKING LOT, and all of their eyes widened as they watched it fall. They all looked at each other before sprinting toward the door and down the stairs. Once they reached the parking lot, they froze when they saw everything that was happening. There was a huge puddle of water around an ambulance, and there was a man lying on the ground, limp. April then noticed another figure lying in the puddle.

"Isaac!" she shrieked, and her first instinct was to run over to him. So, that's what she did, but before she could, two hands grabbed each of her arms. They were different hands — she could tell — so she assumed that Derek and Scott were holding her back because they were also both extremely strong. "Let me go! Isaac!"

The McCall boy pulled her toward him and grabbed her face so that she was looking at him in the eyes. He yelled, "The cord's in the water, April. You'll die if you go in there right now."

"But he's dying! We need to help him!" she screamed in response, but they froze when they saw movement in the water. Kira was standing there with the cord in her hands, and all of a sudden, she started glowing and did something to make the sparks stop flying.

As soon as she saw that it was safe, the blonde was in the water and by the boy's side. Derek came with her as well and as she was shaking him, he listened for a heartbeat or a breath or anything. He muttered, "He's not breathing..." Her heart dropped as soon as she heard the words, and the rest of the world seemed muffled. "Scott, he's not breathing!"

The rest of the night all faded into a kind of haze. April remembered running down the hallway as they carted Isaac off to the operating room. She was stopped at a set of double doors because they needed to take him into surgery. She remembered sitting in the waiting room, staring at her feet until a doctor came out. She remembered him telling her that he could not release any information or let her see him because she was not family. She remembered telling him that he does not have any.

"Have you been here all night?" a voice asked from beside her, and she looked up from where her face was in her hands to see Scott staring down at her with concern in his eyes.

She nodded tiredly. She had been able to sleep, partly because she was worried out of her mind and partly because hospital waiting room chairs were one of the most uncomfortable things in the world. "Yeah. They won't let me see him because I'm not family. I told them he doesn't have any."