Chapter 82 Tumultuous

Lan Zhan turned around from the back of the Jingshi and marched outside, not even bothering to close the door behind him. That, if anything, was a clear indication that his mind was not in the right place.

Certainly not for what he was about to do.

Wei Ying had just enough time to tug the door close and somehow keep up with his husband, but he knew he had to do something, and do it fast.

So he squeezed the hand that was holding his, and ran in front of Lan Zhan, effectively stopping him from walking.

"Please, my love, wait!" Wei Ying knew he sounded desperate, but he didn't care. He wasn't going to stand by and do nothing.

Pained golden eyes stared back, full of stormy emotions.

Wei Ying put his hands on Lan Zhan’s shoulders. In this body, he was slightly shorter than Lan Zhan, and he never thought it was a disadvantage until now.

"Please, Sweetheart, let's think about what we're going to say to your brother. You must know, before you go in there." His heart was beating faster than a drum, breath uneven and chest heaving as he too, tried to calm down.

"I want to know if Xiongzhang has held back, if he knows something and did not tell me." Lan Zhan fired back, too many thoughts smashing into one another in his head.

"I have to ask, what if he's innocent?"

"What if he's not?" Lan Zhan demanded.

"I'm with you. I know the chances are fifty-fifty, either way." Wei Ying stepped closer. "But I'm trying to stop you from doing something you might regret later."

Lan Zhan visibly let his tension ebb away, defeated.

"There are only two times that my brother let me down. Both of those were life altering," he whispered.

"Tell me. What happened?"

"When he chose to believe in Jin GuanYao, his sworn brother, instead of me. His brother, the one he swears to love." Lan Zhan took a deep breath, knowing his next words were going to be hard, for both of them. "When I came back from the Burial Mounds, I knew they were going to punish me. I knew they might kill me. But it was alright, because if you were alive, then I could stand up to them, up here." Lan Zhan tapped the side of his head once.

"Oh…my love." Wei Ying didn't care that he was openly crying. He wrapped his arms around Lan Zhan’s body and tried to be strong for him.

"Do you know? The Discipline whip is only permitted to be held by the Sect Leader, or one of twelve Elders. They stood by and watched. I do not regret anything that happened on that day. As Sect Leader, I expected him to punish me. It was only right, since I had committed the crime to warrant it. But as my brother, I expected him to say something."

Wei Ying couldn't speak now, only a few whimpers left his mouth as he struggled with his own feelings on the matter. The tears just wouldn't stop, and yet he was glad Lan Zhan was finally opening up about such a painful part of his past. So he held on and let Lan Zhan talk through what was going on in his mind.

"I have given my life to this Clan. Do you not think I deserve the truth, when I ask for it?"

Wei Ying was already nodding, even before Lan Zhan had finished speaking.

"There are few people I would break the rules for." Lan Zhan continues, and now his voice is gentler, calmer, as if he has reached some internal agreement. Made a decision which has allowed him to prepare for what is coming for them. His arms tighten around Wei Ying, finally hugging him back.

He doesn't have to say anything more about his thoughts: Wei Ying knows without a doubt that Lan Zhan is talking about himself.

And his mother.

She had such an impact on his life, in the six short years they were permitted to see each other. How sad for such a soul?

To only be allowed twelve days in a year to see her children.

Seventy-two days in total.

Just two and a half months when put together.

Of course, Lan Zhan wanted justice for her.

"You know, Sweetheart, I support you, no matter what. But I'm scared right now, and I need you to tell me that you're only doing this for her, that sweet, sweet lady we left behind the Jingshi. It can't be just to satisfy your curiosity because, as she said, people can still be affected. I just…I just don't want you to feel any regret. Especially if XiChen is innocent." Wei Ying pulled back to look into Lan Zhan’s eyes, and was relieved to see a deep, golden calmness.

"I am sure."

The fact that he took time to answer Wei Ying, went a long way to reassuring Wei Ying that Lan Zhan was in control, both of himself and his emotions.

But he went further.

"I promise Wei Ying, I shall do my best to minimise damage. But in order to do that, I must first find out what I am protecting them from." His warm lips land on Wei Ying’s worried forehead, lingering there. "Your efforts in wanting to protect me from myself are commendable. They are appreciated."

"That's just another roundabout way to say thank you." Wei Ying grumbled, but at least he was wearing a small smile now.

They continued walking towards the Hanshi.

"But I'm wondering?" Wei Ying muses, kicking a loose pebble out of the way.

"Mn?"

"What is the significance of a broken music box? And why did she ask after the comb? It just seems weird to me, that's all."

"Mn."

There really was only one way to find out. And as they knock on the door of the Hanshi, like they have so many times before tonight, it is the only barrier left between them and the truth about their mother.