Chapter 121 Celebrations

The last days of summer pass by, turning the sunshine that much cooler, the breeze kissing their faces with new bites of the coming winter. But first, Mother Nature had one more colour spectacle to bless them with.

As the trees changed their mantles from different shades of green to golden yellows, earthy rusts and vibrant reds, before shedding them completely, it was time for the Mid-Autumn Festival.

Caiyi Town was the place to be, in the days leading up to the Dragon Boat festival, with moon cakes selling out as soon as they were displayed. The carnival came to visit and Wei Ying was taken to visit by his husband and their children.

It was a time for joy, to take pleasure in the single moments of peace and tranquillity, the comfort of knowing that whenever Wei Ying reached out, Lan Zhan was always there. That no matter where Lan Zhan went, Wei Ying always followed.

One morning, on the actual day of the festival, Lan Zhan tucked a still sleeping Wei Ying more securely in their bed and went to wake Li XiWang and Rumi.

Today had become a secret ritual in their family, ever since Lan Zhan had found out that Wei Ying liked Moon cakes, to make him some together.

Lan Zhan loved the whole process, of visiting the kitchens before anyone else, of how both of their delightful children watched his hands do all the work with concentrating diligence, and then try their best to mimic it. How they always managed to get flour everywhere and how everyone who usually started their day with being in the kitchen, gave them a wide berth.

It was therapeutic for Lan Zhan to make these cakes and they always made a variety of different types. He imagined Wei Ying's face, when he would open those gorgeous pink lips and bite into the pastry, the look of wonder on his beautiful face, and the love shining out of his lovely soft, silver eyes as he looked at his family, because they made these especially for him.

It is a day off for everyone, and Wei Ying makes a point of visiting everyone he knows with his family, first visiting their brothers and daughter in the Hanshi, and then dragging them to see Shifu.

Everyone was met with a happy smile and a wave, and each time it happened, Lan Zhan's chest filled with a satisfied contentment.

Wei Ying was here, alive and well, happy and healthy, and more powerful than ever.

That happiness was a cloak around his shoulders, finally letting Lan Zhan relax. During the day, he could share the wonderful gift of his husband with all and sundry, and at night, he could have Wei Ying all to himself.

The fact that this was another chance that the Universe had blessed them with, made every taste of his Wei Ying that much sweeter, every kiss filled with unbridled joy, every touch making his heart soar with happiness.

Wei Ying was that much and more in love with Lan Zhan, and with his life as it opened up in front of him.

That day, in Caiyi Town, watching the dragon boats race against each other on Biling lake, seeing his children cheer in delightful excitement, rooting for their favourite team, and then later as they went from stall to stall, tasting new and old street food, sharing bites of sweet tanghulu, Wei Ying let himself believe that this was his life now.

He could spend every day waking up to soft, warm kisses, see the most beautiful face of his husband every morning, and share their lives with their families.

During the day, he and Lan Zhan taught the little Lans, honing their skills to become great cultivators in their own right, and then testing them on paper, and then at night, taking them for practical training on night hunts.

It was hard to stand back and watch, to let the young ones learn through their mistakes, letting their experiences become the better teaching in how to survive, how to become better.