Chapter 115 Mu Family

XiChen turned immediately towards the new voice and put on his most charming smile.

"Greetings," he says, bowing to the recent newcomer.

"Welcome to our humble village," the middle-aged man says, bowing back. "My name is Hu Chang Di and I am the village spokesperson. Please, you must forgive us for our reluctance in greeting you. Prior relations with the Cultivation World have made things strained between us."

He is dressed in simple robes, as is everyone standing in front of them. They appear to be of good quality but nothing overly ostentatious.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," XiChen smiles brightly, hoping this becomes easier. It's hard to know what to expect from these strangers, and though he can't feel any hostility from them yet, things could escalate without a warning.

"That remains to be seen," Hu Chang Di replies. His tone isn't a bad one, but he does seem wary. "What business do you have with the Mu family?"

"It is a private matter. As we told your friend, we mean no harm. We only wish to talk." XiChen explains.

"We heard you the first time. However, we are terribly protective of our people, as you must have seen upon entering our land. We cannot give any of us up so easily." Hu Chang Di replies just as fast.

The murmurs begin again.

"It seems we are at an impasse, then." XiChen tells him back, also with steel in his voice.

They might have started all of this in a diplomatic way, but he won't be budged or bullied by anyone. More so because of his past, of listening to someone with ulterior motives who managed to successfully lie to him, but XiChen didn't want to think about that now.

"Hold on, hold on," Wei Ying jumps in quickly. "Why can't we just tell them who you are? If they're all as close as he says, is it just a matter of time before they find out?"

"But A-Xian, I would like to tell whoever remains of the Mu family, first. It is only right that they find out from us first, rather than from a second hand source." XiChen does feel distressed about this. He hadn't imagined ever having to justify his decision, especially in this.

"Okay, then how about this:" Wei Ying turns to the village spokesperson. "We understand how you would be protective of the Mu family. We only want to talk, and if it means having to do it here out in the open, in front of all of you, then we don't mind, right?" Wei Ying glances at both the Lan brothers for confirmation.

"I don't have to like it, but if it's the only way…" XiChen trails off, curbing his expression.

Lan Zhan simply inclines his head, not needing to say anything when the two most important people in his life are handling this tense situation.

Hu Chang Di turns and sort of huddles with the other seniors, discussing this in low voices.

"Agreed. Please bring Mu Shan Xie here." Hu Chang Di says loudly, letting his voice carry on the wind.

A few of the young men behind him break away and take off running, presumably to go and fetch him.

"Mu Shan Xie?" Wei Ying ponders. "I wasn't expecting any resistance, but XiChen-Ge, do you think we should show them the box? As proof? Otherwise they might not believe us."

"Mn. That is why I brought it along," XiChen says, taking it out of the pouch in his sleeve.

A hush falls on the crowd when they see what he holds in his hands.

The seconds turn into minutes, tension rising high as they wait for this mysterious Mu Shan Xie to arrive.

They do not know what to expect, and now the crowd seems volatile, eager to know why they have come here, and even more in a hurry to get rid of them. Lan XiChen has never felt so unwelcome before, in such a subtle manner.

"Where did you get that?" A voice rings out suddenly, harshly, above all the others.

Silence descends as a tall willowy man strides in front of his people, ignoring Hu Chang Di's attempts to pull him back.

He's just as tall as XiChen except perhaps not so muscular. That's not to say he looked weak, because his shoulders were broad and muscular, the shapes of his biceps defined by his simple robes. This was a strong man, used to hard labour in a physically demanding profession. He exudes a calm exterior though, and that is what gives hope to both Lan brothers.

But upon seeing his face, Lan Zhan gasps, catching XiChen as he stumbles back.

They cannot deny, from the same features on this familiar face, that he is somehow related to their deceased mother.

They are both too shocked to speak, as is the tall stranger.

"Who are you?" He whispers, his eyes darting from Lan XiChen to Lan Zhan, his face full of confusion.

XiChen recovers first. His hand remains in Lan Zhan’s, though, as he begins to speak. "Our mother's name was Mu Ling Chang. She was married to Qingheng-Jun of the Lan Clan, in Cloud Recesses."

A collective gasp rings out among the crowd behind the tall man.

"You are speaking of my sister," the man says shakily, his eyes filling with tears. "Tell me, how is she?"