Chapter 104 Fruit

Lan Zhan has no thoughts as Wei Ying grabs his wrist, and they run forward, simultaneously transforming into their dragons.

Black as deep as the night, with dangerous red scales all along his belly and now at his eyes, his wings tinged with scarlet, Wei Ying flies up into the sky, knowing that his husband is following at his tail.

A flash of brilliant white, with shades of blue around his underbelly and his horns, his whiskers majestic and magnificent, twisting around his beautiful husband as they spin ever higher.

The feathery leaves welcome their dragon forms, the branches creating a platform for the dragons to land upon. Wei Ying nods at their sons, including Jin Ling, and he and SiZhui climb onto his back, while JingYi runs to his father, Hanguang-Jun.

Let's teach these kids some respect, Wei Ying tells Lan Zhan through their mental connection. His hungry yellow eyes twinkle with mischief, and he's ready to follow Wei Ying into chaos.

Wei Ying gives them no warning, shooting up into the sky like an arrow at top speed, the air currents stealing the screams of those on his back. Lan Zhan chases him, soaring up side by side, and they twist and turn, looping around each other in a dance older than time.

He's exhilarating to watch, free as a bird and flying so high. The people down below become specks of dirt. Lan Zhan can look nowhere else, less than a quarter of his mind concentrating on keeping JingYi stable, while watching his husband exuberantly defy gravity in a cunning display of agility and grace

Lan Zhan copies his every move... until he doesn't. As his flight whirls into a spin, he smiles a dangerous smile when he realises that the tables have turned, and now it's Wei Ying who is following him instead, a mirror of his moves.

So Lan Zhan begins to twist in the air, performing ever complicated actions and stretching his dragon muscles, a celebration of his nature. And he's immensely proud of Wei Ying's ability to match his every action.

There's a moment when they catch each other's eyes, gold meeting silver, and an unspoken desire to meet in the air. Wei Ying looks deeply into his eyes, so close that their snouts can touch, and then his hot tongue comes out to lick at Lan Zhan's face.

The jolt of electricity that stuns them both is felt by their forgotten children, all of whom groan with disbelief.

"Hey! We want to get off!" Jin Ling shouts before his Uncles forget they're still there and take this weird courting ritual further.

Wei Ying is already thinking about it, though.

Hey, Lan Zhan! Did you know some birds and definitely bees can mate whilst flying? He thankfully says this so only Lan Zhan can hear him.

I am not... opposed to the challenge, Lan Zhan replies.

Alright, next time! Wei Ying promises with a wicked grin.

They fly back to the ground, amid roaring cheers and clapping hands, as the crowds surge forward to welcome them back.

Jin Ling jumps off and unceremoniously is sick behind some bushes, while SiZhui rubs his back sympathetically, and keeps his hair out of his face, and JingYi crows about the young Mistress not being able to keep his lunch down after all.

"Would you like to take a closer look at our Tree?" Ouyang Zhongzu says, a shrewd twinkle in his eyes.

Lan Zhan and Wei Ying transform back into their human forms complete with graceful robes, and they bow together, recognising the offer for the honour it is.

While the crowd disperse, Ouyang Zhongzu brings all the Babies and the adults together, to stand under the tree.

"Father, may we touch the tree?" Li XiWang asks Wei Ying, whispering it because she's not sure if it's allowed, and she doesn't wish to disrespect anyone by asking.

"Let's ask Ouyang Zhongzu," he replies, with a warm smile.

Sect Leader Ouyang Zhongzu is far more astute than he lets on, and he smiles as he nods.

Li XiWang bows towards the tree, and her action makes everyone copy her. And then together with Wei Ying, they touch the tree.

Immediately, Bai Hua returns to her body, the white lock of hair flowing out of her guan, and her eyes open to white orbs, silvery and magical.

"Celestial Tree, please grant us your blessings," she says in that much deeper voice, the one that speaks of centuries of wisdom.

Instantly, the Tree shivers and there are gasps all around. Huaisang fans himself faster, Zidian crackles and the Babies cower.

But Lan Zhan is concentrating on Wei Ying, who is trembling from something else. He reaches out to Hui Gai, using their mental connection to pass on a message:

Please, Hui Gai, Dear friend, look after Little Rabbit.

Of course, Hui Gai tells him, fully aware that Li XiWang had a habit of passing out every time Bai Hua made an appearance.

Lan Zhan closes his eyes and connects to Wei Ying through their minds.

Immediately, he finds himself in a land filled with golden light.

Wei Ying is standing there, waiting for him to join him, and holding out his hand. Lan Zhan takes it and they turn to see the Spirit of the Tree.

She is magnificent, glorious and radiant, emitting an ancient power. She is the most beautiful person Lan Zhan has ever seen, aside from Wei Ying.

She laughs at that, and Wei Ying blushes, hiding his face in Lan Zhan's shoulder.

Lan Zhan was not aware that his thoughts were being broadcasted in public, but even if he knows now, he stands by them, not at all ashamed or embarrassed. Wei Ying is supremely beautiful, and that is a fact.

"Stop that," Wei Ying mutters, his red face giving him away.

"No." Lan Zhan refuses to. "It is forbidden to lie," he adds, for good measure.

"Welcome, Celestial Immortals," she says, jumping in to prevent a possible argument between the two. "I have a special gift for both of you." She hands them a golden pouch. "I am blessed to be in your presence today, and to witness your wonderful dance."

Wei Ying blushes even more, remembering what he had said to his husband, sure now that she would have overheard.

"What is inside?" He can't help asking.

She gives them the brightest smile.

"Something to enhance your marital life."

Wei Ying groans, hiding his face with his hands.

Lan Zhan simply smirks. "Thank you," he says simply, enjoying how adorable his husband looks.

"You both are most welcome. I have another gift for all those over there," she says, "requested by our most esteemed Bai Hua, Healer of the Heavens. Please tell me, when will she return forever?"

"When our daughter turns eighteen years of age," Wei Ying informs her.

"Then I shall look forward to that day." She bows gracefully.

When they open their eyes, they find themselves back with everyone else, under the beautiful green tree.

A whispering wind is all the warning they receive, and suddenly the feathery leaves are plucking the yellow star-shaped fruit from its branches and showering the ones below with the sweet treats.

Every single person gets one fruit each and Ouyang Zhongzu makes an announcement: "Please everyone, do not eat these here. We are holding a banquet in your honour as guests of our Sect. We request that since this is an unprecedented event, let us honour this gift by eating this fruit right at the end of the meal. Agreed?"

Cheers of happy agreement flow around him, and they make their way to the Sect headquarters.