Chapter 93 Trust

Jiang Cheng strode past an anxious looking Lan Zhan pacing in the Jingshi, obviously waiting for Wei Ying, who could charm the pants off anyone.

Unfortunately, they made eye contact.

Jiang Cheng's regret was phenomenal.

He sighed internally, deeply, and stopped.

"He's gonna be fine. Your mother and he seem to be getting along."

One curt nod and he was released from the Stare(™) and he hurried away. If this was what Lan WangJi was like about Wei WuXian, then Huan's state might be worse...?

He had no time to enjoy the wonders of the night. No time to appreciate the lone frogs calling out for a mate, the frightened chirrups of crickets plucked out of tall grasses for a nighttime snack, or the owls hooting with curiosity.

Nor did he gaze up at the numerous stars lighting his way, as if a diamond merchant had tripped and fallen, spilling his wares across the sky.

Jasmine, fragrant and intoxicating, did not stir his heart as it anxiously beat faster, speeding his feet towards his goal.

He could see a candle burning brightly inside, and it made his lips turn up unconsciously.

Huan was waiting for him, and that candle was for him.

He slid the door open and slipped inside.

Huan was reading.

His hair gleamed in the natural, pale glow of the yellow light, no adornment holding it up. He had changed into his sleeping robes, and his profile cut a sharp figure sitting by the little table in the Hanshi.

Jiang Cheng wondered if it was possible to fall in love again, even if he was already married to the object of his fascination. Huan looked soft.

All of the edges that came with the responsibility attached to the white, vibrant robes of the Lan Clan were infinitely smoothed away by his relaxation, and Jiang Cheng was happier for it.

A man's home should be his shelter, a calm island in the middle of a tumultuous sea.

Huan looks up, his gentle smile transforming his unusual beauty.

"The Cultivation world was right to crown you the best looking cultivator." Jiang Cheng says, with a smirk.

"Out of the two of us, I am the luckiest." Huan says, standing up to greet him.

Their lips meet in an anxious rhythm, familiar and yet the experience was always slightly different. That first spark of thrilling, crackling energy that made his nerves burst into life, it was intoxicating. That captivating greed for more, sometimes it felt insatiable.

As they break apart, Lan Huan hugs him close.

"How was it?"

Jiang Cheng hears the question in his ear, shivering at the hot breath. He cradles Huan's head under his chin, smiling.

"Better than I expected." Jiang Cheng kissed the top of his head.

"Ah...that's good." Huan unties his sash that is holding his purple robes together.

It never ceased to amaze him how much Huan treated his clothes with respect. His gentle fingers slid across muscular shoulders, the limbs honed through daily practice of the Jiang Sword Form. The purple silk is caressed lightly before it is eased off.

The robes are carefully folded and put away, and then warm fingers card through his hair, removing his guan and placing it on top of the table.

Lan Huan places a soft kiss over his heart before helping him put on his sleeping robes.

Jiang Cheng guides him to their bed and they lie down. He drags the blanket over their tired bodies and smiles at the hum of appreciation coming from his husband.

"What did you talk about?" Huan asks, sleepily. His eyes were already closed.

"An important person. We can talk about it in the morning. Sleep now, Huan." Jiang Cheng presses another warm kiss against his forehead, and XiChen snuggles closer.

Lulled into a peaceful state by his regular breathing, evened out unconsciously, Jiang Cheng feels his slumber approaching.

Only one more thing needs to be said.

"I love you."

************

Lan Zhan is waiting by the back door of the Jingshi.

His golden eyes are intense as always, taking in every detail of Wei Ying. He nods to himself and envelopes his husband in a warm hug. Lan Zhan has always enjoyed having billowing sleeves; all the better to hide his Wei Ying in.

And the way Wei Ying's nose fastens itself to his neck, eliciting a shiver, Lan Zhan huffs out a gentle laugh.

"It's not my fault you smell so good." Wei Ying protests, with a smirk.

"Wei Ying smells better." Lan Zhan leads him to their bed where he has laid out Wei Ying's night clothes.

Efficiently and with no extraneous movements, he gets Wei Ying ready for bed.

The silence drags on and suddenly, Wei Ying cannot wait any longer.

"Aren't you going to ask me?"

"Mn?"

"What your mother said to me?" Wei Ying's tone is incredulous.

"No." Lan Zhan continues as if that is the end of the conversation.

"But Sweetheart, you were pacing...?"

"I am always anxious when Wei Ying is not next to me," he replies easily.

"And that's all?" His disbelief is real.

"Mn. Unless Wei Ying feels a need to divulge anything? Otherwise I am content that Wei Ying is not upset." Lan Zhan pulls him into another hug, this time holding him closer.

"No...you're right, I'm not upset. I love your mother...she's nice." Wei Ying looks up into suddenly intense golden eyes. "She's exactly as I imagined her to be like. I just don't get why you're so okay with it."

"That's easy. If the two most loved people in my life want to talk, then it should be encouraged. That is the end of the matter." Lan Zhan lifts his face a little higher and slants his lips across that beautiful face, already smiling.

Wei Ying kisses him back with a ferocious need, walking Lan Zhan backwards into their bed, and they fall among the sheets and pillows dishevelled instantly. Wei Ying throws out the silencing talismans and sighs happily down at Lan Zhan underneath his body.

And then he pounces.