Chapter 105 Banquet

Extensive flowers spread out in front of them as Ouyang Zhongzu shows off his cultivated lands. The main building is far away from here, a place outside amid the floral gardens of the Ouyang Sect, famous for their cultural heritage.

Peonies and roses, hyacinths, and stocks, the air is filled with the perfume of these wonderful blooms, colourful and bright.

"I hope our esteemed guests do not mind eating outside tonight," their host announces, gesturing to the long tables already set up for all of them. "Our humble gardens may not be as impressive as Lotus Pier, nor as peacefully beautiful as Gusu, but we hope our meagre offerings will satisfy our guests tonight."

It is twilight now and only less than an hour before the stars will come out to play. Right now, nature's palette streaks across the wild expansive sky, a hombre of pinks and oranges, purples, and blues.

They smile and nod, liking this arrangement more than they should, because it's only now that both Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng remember why they have come here at all.

This was one of the sects that had dared to make an offer of marriage to the Twin Jades of Gusu.

A knowing look passes between them, not missed by either of the Lan brothers. But whereas Lan Zhan has stopped caring about whatever Wei Ying wants to do about that, XiChen certainly does, and he's suddenly tense, wanting to keep good relations with these people.

However, he also realises that he is one, and they are three. Four and five, if he counts Hui Gai and Zago as being on A-Xian's side, out of core loyalty.

Damn.

Well, he, for one, will not be drinking anything resembling wine tonight, not if he wants to keep a level head.

All the Babies are sat separately from the adults, with everyone's star fruits placed on pearl dishes in front of them, waiting for the end of the meal.

Ouyang Zhongzu has done his research because bottles of chilli oil suddenly appear in front of Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng. Especially bland and colourless food appear in front of all the Lans, including their youngest members, whilst more spicy versions grace the plates of the Jiangs.

Ouyang Zizhen helps host this gathering with his father, and it is clear the high regard they hold for one another. When the conversation dips, either one is ready with anecdotes of humour, tales of spooky night hunts, and renditions of famous poetry. Good food, good entertainment, and good wine flow like a healthy river, while both Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng bide their time, waiting for the correct opportunity.

Wei Ying seizes his moment in the next lull of the conversation.

"Say, Jiang Cheng and I heard an interesting rumour lately," he says pointedly, looking at Ouyang Zhongzu.

"Really?" says their host. "Please, do tell."

"We heard that a long time ago, there were offers of marriage for the Twin Jades of Gusu." Wei Ying continues.

"No rumour," Lan Zhan adds, not at all reading the room. "It is true."

"And I was wondering why that would happen." Jiang Cheng chimes in.

"All of that was a long time ago," XiChen jumps into the conversation, throwing an apologetic glance at the Sect Leader. "As you say. No need to remember anything from the past, wouldn't you agree?" He tries to laugh, but Jiang Cheng glowers at him.

"The past shapes the future." Lan Zhan joins in, most unhelpfully.

"Too true, Husband!" Wei Ying laughs as well, but his bright silver eyes hold the strength of steel.