35. Survival Of The Fittest

"For the love of a rose,
the gardener becomes the slave of a thousand thorns."

_

_

No motion. No words. Dresses are soaking wet in water. Soul-shredding rain pouring up onto everyone. Silence sprawled across the front of the door, where everyone showed up to take Jennie's dad for his funeral. And Jennie is nothing but lost. Not letting her father go.

You've tried helping her, but she's not listening. Crying until her voice almost turns hoarse. She lost her parents at such a young age, her mom first and now her dad. No one deserves anything like this. No one.

She's the most joyous person you've ever met, someone who'd light up a room she's entered, someone who'd bring smiles to you on your saddest days. And now looking at her crippled like this has done so much destruction to your heart that you don't know what to do with yourself anymore.

She's shattered in thousands of pieces and withered into tears... that you're so broken. So so so broken. It's unacceptable to see your best friend going through so much, and there's nothing you can do about it. Literally nothing.

Her mom died in a car accident; which happened when she was returning home from the company she used to work in. And thereafter her dad started suffering from heart problems after her mom passed away. Never informed Jennie. Kept visiting the hospital, had surgeries done and tried to survive how long he could for his precious only daughter.

But in the end, he couldn't bear it anymore. Disclosed to your parents the truth when he knew the situation was going to go downhill. Wrote a farewell letter to everyone. Jennie Jungkook and you included.

Everyone is trying to soothe Jennie down for her to give her father one last goodbye, but she's still rigid. Not intended to listen to a single person present here at this gathering.

Until Jungkook takes the lead. Take forward the next step. Becoming the knight in the shining armourer of everyone.

He's as wrecked as everyone. But he's stepped ahead and when Jennie catches sight of him she howls, "Jungkook." She cries his name. He listens. Calls her to him with open arms and she runs to him. Her footsteps splashed through the flooding ground beneath and falling right in his arms.

His arms are closing against her figure. Heavy sobbing reverberated through her chest as she hugged him tightly.

She complains about why it took so long for him to return and he's apologizing. Apologizing. Apologizing. Uncountable times sincerely apologizing. He tightly shut his eyes. Emphasizing her. Giving her the warmth of his embrace. Trying his best to keep her from falling.

Eventually, Jungkook takes her inside the house. Grab the towel tugging on the stand and gets down on his knees. Wipes her wet face. Slicked hair. Stammering hands from the sudden chilly air coating her wet skin.