13

"Ora Lavelle swore to me on a stack 'a Bibles that Buster didn't call her. I was there, Hadley. Ora Lavelle was paged. Well, not paged. But Sadie did waddle over with that big old white towel she wears acros't her shoulder. 

I guess that thing is a wipin' rag, I don't know. But, like I said, Sadie comes over to our table 'n' bends down low 'n' whispers to Ora Lavelle that she's got a phone call.

At first, I thought Sadie was gonna kick us out. Me 'n' Ora Lavelle was laughin' 'n' carryin' on 'n' havin' us a good-ole girl time. But that wasn't it at all. Ora Lavelle got up 'n' went to the bar. She talked on the phone. Then, she said she had to leave.

I can't put two and two together. It's strange to me. Course, it is loud in Sadie's. With some of the acts she has there sometimes, loud is all you get. But, I dunno.

It bothers me like all get out. But I guess in a world 'a big things, that ain't no real big thing. Ora said she guessed she got her wires crossed, but I wish I could make heads 'n' tails of it all."

"Maybe Ora'd had too many beers," said Hadley.

"Maybe," said Lou Edna. "Anyway, I was nursing my beer. Ora loves it, but I definitely think beer is not my drink. I'da whole lot rather have a good strong cup of coffee, but Ora says that ruins the atmosphere for her. Ora says she could drink coffee at home on the porch and smoke a corn cob pipe, so I just go along and order one beer to make her happy."