44

Dougal slammed his coffee mug on the table and stormed out of the house. His brows were frozen in a sloping downward angle, the crease between them getting deeper by the second. The ugly upside down 'u' of his mouth told her all she wanted to know.

"You're acting like a spoiled brat, and I got only myself to blame," she muttered.

She had bent over backward to get Button to will her his land. Did Dougal not appreciate what that cost her?

Of course not. Dougal Orner's world contained only one special love.

Dougal Orner.

Estill thought of all the power she'd summoned. It had cost her a lot. But for the love of her only son, Estill Orner would move mountains, if she had to, to ensure that her son's future was going to be a bright as possible.

She'd even slept with the old goat!

And what thanks did she get?

From that beloved only brat she'd raised – none.

Absolutely none. Not even a peck on the forehead when she told him that Button's land would be his someday.

Maybe she should just go off and find some other kid, a stranger, and will the whole kit and caboodle to him or her. That would show Dougal. Little stinker booger. That would really show him.

But Estill knew these daydreams were only that. She'd never abandon her boy, no matter what he did. That was what a mother's love did to a woman, she brooded.

All her son thought about these days was that harlot, Chandra Elanor. Maybe she should brew up something really bad for that girl. Dougal could have his pick of girls. Chandra Elanor was just a rotten apple. Dougal was better off without her. Still, if Dougal was that unhappy, Estill thought, I could cause a bit of mayhem to rain down upon her pretty little head.

Nah, Estill thought. Dougal would know his mother had done that. The way he acted over that no good hussy, he'd be sure to blame her for Chandra's misfortunes, and then there'd be heck to pay.

Estill busied herself with housework. There was certainly enough of it since Dougal's little servant girl had found another beau.