73

"Dougal Orner!" Estill yelled, "I'm gonna kill you!"

Dougal had been hunting for three days. He didn't have a thing to show for those three days except some very nasty clothes. These he started peeling off as soon as he entered the house. When Estill stepped inside, the whole place smelled like the county dump.

"You've been gone for days," Estill said, "and not once did I miss this mess."

Maybe it was the fact that Dougal had gone for 30 hours without sleep or the tone of his mother's voice. Perhaps, it was those morning glory seeds he'd been munching on. Whatever it was, Dougal's rage threatened to make his head explode.

Why was she doing this to him? He hadn't been home 30 minutes.

"Pick up those nasty clothes, Dougal," Estill said. "You throw your filthy things around like you think we have a maid or something."

"Well," Dougal screamed, "we did have until you butted in. And now, the maid's schmoozing with Berth! It's all your fault. What did you do to poison her against me!"

"I didn't have to do anything," Estill said. "You did it all yourself, Dougal."

That was all it took. Dougal sailed into his mother like a hornet out of the nest. Estill was hurt and shocked. She was going to have a very nice shiner.

"Okay," she said, "it's time you got a little comeuppance, mister."

Dougal felt his body being lifted off the floor.

"Put me down," he whined. "Mama! How do I get down from here?"

"You're a big boy," Estill said. "You figure it out."

His mother left the room. Dougal floated up into the air. His backside was stuck to the ceiling for nearly 12 hours.