23

It was a full moon night, but the heavy cloud cover dimmed any light the moon cast down upon the gathering. The illumination from the torches danced in the gloom throwing macabre shadows on their faces.

"Lou Edna!" Hadley whispered. "What on earth are you doing here?"

"I was at that festival, too! Remember?" Lou Edna said. "I saw Button Dudley drop dead at your feet. And of course, I told everybody who came into the shop every gruesome detail that I could remember. Even some I couldn't. I just mixed up everything I saw with everything everybody else was telling me and let 'er rip like I always do.

I been thinkin' about it. That must be why somebody is mad at me. Something I've said has rankled somebody's feathers. You know, spreadin' all that gossip is what I think caused someone to go to such drastic measures. It's the only reason I can come up with. But I'm takin' that curse seriously, Hadley. I done what I needed to do to unhex myself.

I peed on a brick and tossed it into the dump. Drove all the way out there yesterday. All by myself. I hate that place. Even when it's cold, that site stinks like all get out. There was nobody out there but me 'n' Booger Ray.

He's ran that dump for a coon's age. Still looks the same. Must be something in the water out there that's like a fountain of youth. Garbage ginger ale. Who knows? The stink's enough to pull every wrinkle out of your skin. Like this."

Lou Edna pulled back her skin at the temples and grimaced.

"Anyway, I wanted that brick located as far from my house as possible and in a spot where it belonged. The hex is broken. I can breathe easier. I heard that they were buryin' Button, tonight. I just had to come 'n' see who showed up.

Just look!

Why, it's a who's who of the Ancients, Hadley. 

Well, except that Elanor twin. She's the only one in the bunch who's blood ain't sludge and who ain't seen 75 years old about 75 years ago! Huh! Sure ain't many of them left though, is it?"

"I wouldn't joke about them, Lou Edna," said Hadley. "They're the elders of these mountains. The knowledge of the generations past is in their keeping. Maybe the Elanor twin is their chosen one. Who knows? Or maybe, she's just making sure Granny Dilcie gets back home okay. Boy, it's a rough night out. Not fit for man or beast. That wind cuts right through you."

"Yeah, it does. Glad I layered up before I stepped out of the house. Where's the preacher?" Lou Edna asked.

"I don't know," said Hadley.