61

"If I had my druthers," Granny Dilcie said, "I'd druther you two went on to bed early, and we all called it a night."

"Druther not," said Chandra.

"Where you off to?" Granny asked. "It's cold, 'n' it's late, Chandra Elanor. You high tail it upstairs 'fore I take a stick to you."

"Like I think she would whip me," said Chandra. "Granny treats us like we're 12 years old, Dara. It kills me."

"She just doesn't want you out tonight," said Dara. "That's all."

"What do you mean? I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

"Well, what's so important about going out? It's not like you have a date with Berth Carlisle."

"Maybe I do."

"Chandra Elanor!"

"Maybe I do and maybe I don't. I just hate being locked away like a toddler up here. I want to get some fresh air, Dara. You won't tell Granny, will you?"

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to climb out this window and down the oak tree and get me some of that fresh air."

"But it's freezing out there!"

"I don't care. I'm going. It's a free county. I'm not a little girl, Dara. You can be stuck under Granny's thumb if you want, but not me. I've got to get outside. I'm going stir crazy in this tiny bedroom. Go to sleep. Tell Granny you didn't hear me leave. I'll back you up."

"But what if you get out in the cold and dark and get into trouble?"

"That's my business. It's my bed of thorns I'm making. I'll be more than happy to lay in it and not open my mouth. No matter what happens. Don't rat me out, okay?"

"Oh, all right," said Dara. "It's not like anything I say makes one bit of difference with you. You're going to do what you want to anyway."

"I'm glad you see it my way for a change," said Chandra. "And don't worry. I'll be back in a little while. Just leave the window cracked so I can push it open and get back in. Granny will never know I've been out."

A wicked smile broke across Chandra's face.

"And what that old witch don't know won't hurt her one bit," said Chandra.

"Be careful," said Dara.

"Don't worry about me," said Chandra. "I'm the lucky one, remember?"

"Where you going?" Dara asked.

"To Button's," said Chandra.

"What on Earth for?" Dara asked.

"I'm going to borrow his truck," Chandra said.

"But that's stealing!" said Dara.

"It was when he was alive," said Chandra. "But Button doesn't need it now. Besides, I've done it plenty of times. At least this time, I know for sure Button's not going to mind at all."

Chandra was laughing as she raised the window. The rush of cold air was like a shocking blast. Dara shivered, in spite of herself. Chandra had slithered out the window a million times before. Like a magician, she was out the window and gone.

Dara crawled into bed. She pulled the covers tightly under her chin. She made sure she said an extra prayer for Chandra. Something told her Chandra was going to need it.