71

Estill took Chandra under her wing, and from that moment on, Dougal felt like a fading shadow in the sunset. How could his mother do this to him?

Like Dara and Dilcie, Estill and Chandra spent hours wandering the mountains.

"Come with me," Estill said.

"Where are we going?" Chandra said.

"Someplace special," said Estill. "You've proven yourself to me, Chandra."

Estill and Chandra crossed many property lines. She led the young woman to a beautiful waterfall.

"It is special," said Chandra. "I feel it."

"Look here," Estill said, pointing out strange markings on the rocks nearby.

"What are they?"

"Watch."

She began chanting and a sparkling blue halo appeared around the rocks. Suddenly, a portal appeared.

"Take my hand," Estill said.

Chandra did as she was told.

Together, they walked through the rocks and stepped across into a strange and magical Other World.

"It's fantastic," said Chandra.

"Oh, it's better than that. I get all of my most potent plants here."

"I've never seen anything like these."

"That's because this is the only place where they exist. It's like a little corner of the original Garden of Eden, Chandra. The soil, the moisture, the sun, and shade - everything is perfect in this place for extraordinary plants to grow. But you must be careful. Use caution. There are a few that must always stay here. They are just too dangerous to use. I will show them to you."

"Whose land are we on?" Chandra asked.

"Button Dudley's," Estill said.

"Button Dudley's," Chandra said.

And from then on the two began to hatch a plan. They both wanted this place, more than anything else in the world.

Here were the plants that would allow them to rule the world.