25

"Hadley," Lou Edna said, jolting Hadley from her almost trancelike state.

Maybe it was the late hour or the flicker of the torches, but Hadley's mind had been drifting somewhere else. Now, her senses were on high alert.

"What," she whispered.

It felt like she journeyed through a dense fog. What had she missed? Nothing, she hoped.

"Do you think Button Dudley's body is really in that box?" Lou Edna asked.

"What! Well, that's something I hadn't thought about. I don't know," whispered Hadley. "But Harvey's a good man. I'm sure he put Button in the box."

"Why was Button buried in the cemetery and not on some special place on his land?" Lou Edna asked. "I thought all the old ones still did that. I drive by some old house, and there's a headstone on display out in the front yard."

"I don't know, Lou Edna," Hadley said. "What I know about Button Dudley you could fit on the head of a pin."

It was a mystery. Why hadn't Button Dudley been buried in the woods, on some favorite spot on his land at the top of a ridge overlooking a valley? Why had not one of this small circle of remaining Ancients insisted his body be washed by the mountain folk and planted in the family cemetery?

Had Button outlived all his family?

Probably.