60

"Hadley Pell," said Granny Dilcie, "I had an inklin' I'd see you, today. And Beanie, how's that finger holdin' on?"

"We're both fine, Granny," said Hadley. "Beanie's finger wouldn't dare fall off since you doctored on it, would it, Bean?"

"No, sir," said Beanie.

He was wiggling his finger in front of Granny's face like it was a worm on a fishing hook.

"Well," said Granny, "what is this? It looks like an early Christmas."

"Not at all, Granny," said Hadley.

Beanie and Hadley had unloaded her all the boxes from her trunk. Hadley had gone through her cupboards and filled them with goodies. There were dry goods, canned goods, and anything else she had edible in the house that did not need refrigeration.

"I need your help, Granny," Hadley said. "I have so much food in the house, and I can't eat it all."

"I have to help her all the time, Granny," Beanie said. "I do the best I can, but there's too much here for one man to eat."

"You have a warm and generous heart, Hadley," said Granny.

Granny winked at Hadley. She wasn't fooled at all. Hadley was giving her food to help her through the long winter ahead. But it wasn't charity. Granny knew Hadley was simply being a good friend.

"Yes, Beanie," Granny said. "And it is our duty to help Hadley all we can. You and I have a mission. We must not let her waste food!"

"Amen," said Beanie.

"How are the girls, Granny?" Hadley asked.

"Oh, they're fine," Granny said.

"I hear Dara's been having boyfriend troubles. Lou Edna ran into her down at Sadie's a while back."

"You've confused that one with the other. Dara's too busy learning all that I can teach her. She is a blessing, that one. It is Chandra who is always into trouble with the boys, and without them!"

The door opened and Dara and Chandra clambered inside.

"Children! Shut that door!" Granny said.

The girls had been out gathering maitake and oyster mushrooms, which could still be found as late as November. Hadley looked at them. It was always jarring how identical those two were. Like a mirror image of the same person.

"Y'all thank Miz Hadley," Granny said. "She's one of my dear friends from town. She and her friend, Beanie, have brung us a whole mess a vittles."

"Thank you," both girls said in unison.

"Hadley, you must not go away empty-handed. Here. This is a jar of my wild strawberry preserves."

"Granny, you always remember they are my favorite."

"Would you like some of the mushrooms we gathered?" Dara asked.

"Oh, no," Hadley said. "I know they are wonderful. Perhaps, I will come up sometime and you two can take me foraging. We could make supper from all we find."

"Well, here," Dara said, exiting the room but quickly returning. "You can't say no to this."

Before Hadley could say anything, Dara handed her and Beanie two good luck bags.

"Here," Dara said. "To ward off evil."

When they got in the car, they opened their bags. Each was filled with star anise.

"Good luck," said Beanie.

Beanie stared out the window, suddenly very serious and somber.

"What is it?" asked Hadley.

"Oh," Beanie said, "I wish Ester Blaylock could have some good luck."

"What do you mean, Beanie?"

"Well, Ester Blaylock was talkin' the other day to Matilda Cletterflug. You know people act like I'm deaf or somethin'. I'm standin' close by, mindin' my own biz'ness, but they act like I ain't even there.

"Anyways, Ester 'n' Matilda got to talkin'. Ester Blaylock's got corns that kill 'er 'n' yeast that's drivin' her crazy. You should hear the way she talks. Well, maybe not. I'd just as soon forget. But the good stuff, I let it stick."

"You let it stick, huh," said Hadley.

"Yeah," Beanie said, pointing to his head.

"I'll have to remember that," said Hadley, "and watch what I talk about around you. I don't want it to stick if I have yeast or corns or whatever."

"Hadley?"

"Yeah, Bean."

"Ester Blaylock's always sayin' that her yeast is nasty stuff. I don't think I want none of her bread, you know. She must have a bushel of them corns, too. The way she goes on. No, sir, Hadley. I'da just as soon pass on Ester's cornbread 'n' biscuits."

"Since you put it that way,Bean," said Hadley, "so would I."