65

Chandra.

It made perfect sense. Estill went inside and sat at her little séance table. She let her body relax, easing herself into a trance.

"Au da ai ou kah la eyamo nou," she chanted. She felt her mind clear. Her eyelids felt heavy. They slowly closed. Her breathing slowed. Then, as if a sharp pin speared her brain, she felt the electric energy flow into her. Her eyes snapped open.

Gazing into the ball, Estill watched as the smoky haze inside the crystal cleared.

She saw the girl come into her yard, look around. Call her son's name.

Nothing.

The girl stood looking up at Dougal's window. She picked up a small stone and threw it toward the window. Estill heard the "tink" of the rock hitting the pane.

Nothing.

Estill saw the vision as she stepped out onto the porch.

"Dougal ain't here. He's gone huntin'."

The ephemeral Estill went back into the house. Closed the door.

The girl stood in the yard staring at the closed door.

Then she glanced aside. The girl's footsteps led her to the shed. Estill saw the door to the shed was ajar. In her haste, she had forgotten to lock it. The girl looked back toward the house.

Nothing.

"She took the Book," Estill whispered.

Estill watched as the girl hesitated. Her finger touched the door then pushed it opened. She stepped inside. Estill watched the girl scan the shelves, look at her tables full of herbs and potions, and gawk at the many plants hanging from the ceiling. The girl spied the Book on its stand in the far corner. She touched the old pages. Estill could feel the electricity jolt her system even through this vision.

The girl had stolen the Book!

***

"Dilcie," Estill said. "Where's the wild one?"

"Estill," Granny Dilcie said, "what do you want with her?"

Estill had walked the few miles to Granny's house.

"I need to talk to her," Estill said.

"What about?" asked Granny.

"Your girl and my boy are friends. I want to make sure that your girl knows that Dougal ain't no good."

"Are you serious?" You're his maw. Why would you be bad mouthing your own son to Chandra Elanor?"

"You're right, Dilcie. I am his maw, but I ain't blind. I tried to spare Dougal the bad beatin's my pappy gave me. But I see now I shoulda' set boundaries. Dougal's wild. Dilcie. I don't want your Chandra hurt because of 'im."

"She's out back, milkin' the cow.,"

"Thank ye."

Estill made her way to the barn. Chandra had her back to the door, milking the jersey cow.

The sad eyes of the jersey gazed Estill's way as she entered the dark barn.

"I want it back, gal," Estill said.

Chandra jumped, knocking over the pail of foamy, white milk.

"I want it back," Estill said. "The crystal said you took it. You don't know what you done, gal. Give it back and no harm will come to you."

"You're right," Chandra said. "I took it. But I won't give it back. The power's mine now."

"You don't know what you're messin' with," Estill said. "You could kill yourself."

"Show me," Chandra said. "Teach me. I will give it back if I have your word that you will let me learn from you. All of it. All of your wisdom. Hold nothing back."

Estill stood still. Was this a trick?

"Sa shu dom au nu ca sic," Chandra said.

"All right," said Estill.

Chandra walked over to the ladder by the hayloft. She climbed it, disappearing in the gloom of the shadowy barn. In a few seconds, she climbed back down. She handed the Book to Estill.

"Come this afternoon," Estill said. "We will start at once. Dougal will be gone the night. He's huntin'. Are you sure you want me to do this?"

"Positive," Chandra said.

"Then, we will begin," Estill said, taking the empty pail and saying a chant over it.

Chandra watched as it slowly began to waver, becoming almost fluid before her eyes.

Then, in seconds, the pail was overflowing with foamy, white milk.