67

"I read it," Hadley said.

"What did you make of it?" Anna asked.

"It sounds like somebody's experimenting with some wicked stuff," Hadley said.

"I thought so, too," said Anna. "I can't put that up on the site, Hadley. It would make me feel like I was prompting kids to trip out."

"What are the rest like?"

"The rest of the entries are normal, mundane, boring, funny, cute, and average essays on anything from first love to zits."

"Well, I'd definitely leave this one out. Let's hope you don't get any more like it. You know, weird ones, like how to kill your mother-in-law with an iron frying pan and a wad of chewing tobacco."'

"Thanks for your input. I'll send you some of the better ones and maybe you can help me pick the winner."

"Be glad to, Anna."

After ringing off, Hadley looked at Onus. She'd turned on the ceiling fan inadvertently. Onus was watching the string go round and round. He'd jumped up on the back of the couch where he made a flying leap at the string. His claw hung in the end of the string, and the poor cat was slung in circles like a circus acrobat around and around in midair.

Horrified, Hadley ran for the switch, turning off the fan. Onus flopped to the floor with a thud. The cat wasn't hurt, but Hadley was laughing so hard she feared she'd spring a leak in her plumbing.