68

"Lou Edna," Hadley said, "what are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing," said Lou Edna. "What you got in mind?"

"Go with me to Sadie's."

"Girl! Are you out of your mind?"

"No, I just want to nose around a little. But I want you there to tell me what it was like that night."

"But, Hadley, every time I even think about that night, I lose one of my nine lives. It scares me to death when I begin to remember."

"Oh, we'll be all right."

"How do you know? You gonna take your big, scary guard cat to make sure?"

"I just might. On second thought, Onus might turn into a panther or something. You know, some kind of mountain spell. I swear if I didn't know better, I'd think he was pregnant. He's eating me out of house and home."

"Just putting on his winter fat. I'm the same way this time every year. But are you really serious about going over to Sadie's tonight."

"I am. I'll be by your place about seven. Put your prettiest satin blouse on. I already know it's pink. And wear your pink cowgirl boots."

"What are you going to wear?"

"Sackcloth and ashes. Just a joke, Lou. I'll have on a western shirt and some jeans."

"Well, I guess that's like wearing a mink stole and a designer gown for you, ain't it."

"Pretty much. That's about as dressy as I get."

"See you at seven," Lou Edna said. "Is it a full moon or something? I must be crazy for agreeing to do this. I swore off Sadie's after I seen that goblin in the woods. If I see him tonight, I don't know what I'll do."

"If we see him tonight, at least you can say 'I told you so,'" Hadley said.

"Small comfort," said Lou Edna.

She was still shaking her head when she hung up the phone. If Hadley had not been such a dear friend, she would have told her to forget it. But as it was, her hair was a wreck, her face looked a mess, and now she had to remember to stop by the dry cleaners and pick up her satin blouse.

The lengths she wouldn't go to make a friend happy.

At least, she wouldn't have to sip warm beer all night, Lou Edna thought. Hadley would order strong coffee as soon as they got there and keep ordering it. Well, at least until Sadie closed the bar after last call.