57

"Did you read that headline in today's paper?" Maury asked.

"Floyd Carlisle is making a big stink over Button's land. He wants to build some kind of resort. A spa and golf course and luxury accommodations on top of Dudley's Ridge," said Hadley.

"Sounds like more ka-ching that I could ever scrape up to stay there," said Maury.

"Me, too," said Hadley. "Besides, we got our own views right here that are just as beautiful as up on Dudley's Ridge."

"For free," said Maury.

"Exactly, kiddo," said Hadley.

"You don't think Floyd had anything to do with Button's weird demise, do you?"

"I don't know. After reading that article, he sounds like he'd give his eye teeth, and then some, for that land. People have killed for a whole lot less."

"It is beautiful up there. Can you imagine how much the property taxes will shoot up around here if the Carlisles develop that ridge?"

"I don't even want to think about that."

"Well," said Maury, "I don't think we have to worry about it. Button's will is in his own handwriting. No doubt about it. Still, it wasn't notarized."

"I looked up that holographic will thing," Hadley said. "I was curious. They are legal wills, but they are the easiest to challenge. No witnesses, you know."

"I think that's what Floyd hopes will pitch the case in his favor," Maury said. "He's claiming parts of it aren't Button's handwriting. I think it's ridiculous. I think the court will throw it out. And with all this junk he's stirring up, I'm beginning to wonder if he didn't have a hand in old Button's weird exit from this life."

Bingo.

Hadley didn't say anything to Maury. She thought Floyd Carlisle might stand better than an ice cube's chance in Hades because Floyd had the best lawyers and the money to tangle things up for a long time. Estill could be bankrupted just on legal fees alone if Floyd chose to drag the case out.

And as for Floyd Carlisle's hand in Button's death, Hadley had to give that a lot more thought. The jury was still out on that one.