78

Aurora walked up the mountainside on the way to her old cabin in the glen. The climb was arduous for an old woman of her years. Onward she trudged, wondering if there was any place she might be able to find shelter and rest for a spell. As Aurora put one tired foot in front of the other, she felt the presence of someone near. She raised her weary head and looked to see the glowing form of Alswyth McClanahan slowly appearing in the path in front of her.

"Hey," Alswyth said, "they call you Aurora, don't they?

Aurora shook her head 'yes.'

"I felt you coming up the hill," Alswyth said. "I know you are special. You have the gift."

Aurora waited.

"I want you to tell my mama I love her and thank her for taking care of my two girls for me. Her name is Dilcie. I want you to find her and tell her that everything's gonna be all right.

I know I'm askin' a lot from you. I know you don't tell what you see and hear, but my mama will understand. She is special, too, healing and helping. She's done that her whole life.

Mama's a root doctor. She cures people. I didn't put much stock in what she done when I was livin' at home. Now I know she does mighty important work. Tell her to be careful and watch for the darkness."

Aurora saw Alswyth begin to fade. Before totally disappearing, Alswyth placed directions in Aurora's mind. Aurora would know exactly how to find the old cabin where Dilcie lived.

Aurora sighed, straightening her back and staring straight ahead.

The way to the cabin shown brightly in her mind's eye. There was no mistaking it. Wearily, she began the journey, one foot placed gingerly in front of the other.

The day ended. Aurora was surrounded in total darkness. Only the night watchers were out foraging for food. Aurora trudged on.

The moon passed by her on its nightly journey to the western horizon. Aurora never noticed. She willed her exhausted body on.

After hours of steady progress, she smelled the faint whisper of smoke. The fuzzy light of dawn had just begun to creep over the eastern edge of the skyline when she saw the faint wisp of chimney smoke.

Standing at the edge of the wood, Aurora saw a wizened, old woman open the cabin door and step out onto the hardpan. The old woman turned and looked directly in Aurora's direction.

"You must be the one they call Aurora," said Dilcie. "Welcome."