47

"I turned to see where it was comin' from. Estill grabbed Dougal's arm and led him away. She looked me square in the eyes. She had the fear of God in them.

Mine did, too. I remember thinkin' what in tarnation is happenin' or maybe the Lord was a'fixin' to split the Eastern sky. You ain't never heard such a cussin' 'n' that demon from Hades come runnin' out of the woods."

"And it was Button," said Hadley. "We didn't know that then, but we know it now. What bothers me is how did Button get down the mountain to the festival. His truck was still at his house. Bill told Maury his truck was at his cabin."

"I've seen that old heap! Huh! It looks like something out of the '40s. And Button's been tooling all over these hills in that thing. The way it looks, I wouldn't trust it to drive it out of my driveway."

"He could have hitched a ride," said Hadley.

"Dressed like Death!" said Lou Edna.

"Well, it was a Halloween festival," said Hadley.

"Maybe," Lou Edna said. "Maybe, he shape-shifted."

"Oh, please," said Hadley.

"I ain't got time to waste on trying to figure out all that. I want you to go with me to Dilcie's, Hadley," Lou Edna said.

"Now?" Hadley asked.

"Yes," Lou Edna said. "Right now."

"But I'm in my pajamas and Harry's old robe."

"I don't care. Since when have you given a hoot about how you looked?"

"You're right, Lou. I may not care what I wear, but I like my clothes to be clean. A bath is nice first thing in the morning, too."

"Do all that stuff later," Lou Edna said. "Get in the car. We have to go right away. I mean it! Somethin' terrible's gonna happen if we don't."

"But why me?" Hadley asked.

"You are one of Dilcie's favorites," Lou Edna said. "She didn't give me a conjure bag that night at the cemetery. She didn't have anything special for Beanie, either. Just you. I want you to go and persuade Granny Dilcie to make a real special mojo bag for me. I need it, Hadley. I need it bad. If you are half the friend I think you are, you'll grab your purse and go with me now. My first appointment is at 9:30. We've got time if you go with me right now."

"Lou Edna, we ought to have our heads examined," Hadley muttered as she grabbed her purse. "You for all your superstitions and me for letting you talk me into this. With my luck, I'm bound to run into the King of England looking like something the cat drug up."

Hadley got her keys.

"I'm driving," she told Lou Edna. "Dressed like this, anybody seeing me in the passenger's seat might think you were taking me to the hospital. At least behind the wheel, I only look half crazy. Not totally looney."

"Suits me," said Lou Edna. "The last thing I need is a fourth flat tire way up in the sticks. I don't think Dilcie's got cell service out there. Brinkley would never find us with his tow truck. I ain't too good at smoke signals."

"Smoke signals?" Hadley said.

"How else am I gonna send Brinkley an S.O.S. if we broke down in my car?"

"Lou Edna," Hadley said, "try to be a little more optimistic, will ya? I mean look at me. You lassoed me into this gallivant, Lou Edna. I look like who flung dung. But I'm here. We're getting to Granny's just as fast as I can. Now, be happy.

Lord, please don't let me break down in the middle of nowhere and have to walk home looking like a skid row bum whose popped out on the wrong side of the bed, Hadley prayed. This was one instance when fancy pajamas and a nice fine robe might be nice. Oh well. Old flannels and Harry's worn out robe was the best she could do today.