79

"I want to thank you, Aurora," Dilcie said. "I knowed that was not a easy thing for you to do. But it does ease my heart to know Alswyth loves me. Love is a strange thing, ain't it."

Aurora got up to leave.

"You must stay," Dilcie said. "I saw it in the leaves. The tea leaves never lie to me, Aurora. And Alswyth's words to take care and watch for the darkness don't bode well. I been knowing somethin' bad's on the horizon for a long time. And whatever's out there is pow'ful. Maybe, more pow'ful than we know.

I learnt Dara, but she's still young. A small green sprout don't have the strength of a old oak tree.

I might be a oak tree, but I ain't as young as I used to be. I gotta sinkin' feelin' I may need your help. Whatever storm cloud is building, it is gonna be a blaster.

The Good Book says 'at two is better than one. If one falls, t'other can help 'em up. Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves."

"I know that passage well," said Aurora. "I will stay."

"You can have my bed," Dilcie said. "I'll make a pallet on t'other side of the hearth."

"I will sleep by the hearth," said Aurora. "The ashes are like a crystal for me. They foretell of what's to come."

"Very well," said Dilcie. "Very well."