84

"Well, if it ain't Hadley Pell," said Granny Dilcie.

Granny and Dara were out at the old pump. Dara had two buckets of water in her hands. Granny held one.

"Come on into the house," Granny said.

The door opened. Aurora stepped out onto the porch. She recognized these two from the cemetery in town.

"This here's Aurora," Granny said. "Aurora, this is Hadley Pell and her friend, Beanie."

"Pleased to meet you, ma'am," Beanie said.

"Beanie's 'simmon huntin', Granny."

"I know where there's some beauties, Beanie," Granny said. "They's a bit far off, but well worth the walk. Come. I'll show ye."

"I'm comin', too," Aurora said.

"Me, too," said Dara.

They had hiked for some time. Beanie was beginning to believe Granny had taken them all out on a wild goose chase. The rounded a corner by some giant rocks. The dirt path was not very wide, so they walked the trail in single file.

"Granny!" Hadley exclaimed. "This is gorgeous."

"Look at all them 'simmons," Beanie said.

They were standing in a meadow filled with all kinds of trees. The persimmons hung like apricot jewels from the branches. A large portion of the fruit had already fallen from the trees.

"Careful not to slide up in the ripe mush, Beanie," Granny Dilcie said.

"I'll be careful," Beanie said. "If I did, Hadley might make me walk home."

"That's exactly right, Bean," Hadley said. "I'd never get all that goop off my car seat."

Beanie was like a kid in a candy shop.

"Will you make me a puddin', Hadley?" Beanie asked.

"I'll make you a half-dozen, Bean," Hadley said.

"He's a good man," Granny said.

"I know," said Hadley. "Granny, do I hear water?"

"Yes," Granny said. "Come over here. There's a waterfall. I'll show you."

Granny and Aurora and Hadley left Beanie to his picking.

"It's just over here," Granny said. "Chandra Elanor. What are you and Estill doing way out here?"

The two looked shocked that they had been discovered.

"I might ask you why you're trespassing on my land," said Estill.

"I always had permission to come here," Granny said. "And I been comin' here long before you was ever borned, Estill Orner."

"That was when Button was alive, Granny," Estill said. "He's dead 'n' buried. Land's mine now."

"This particular piece of property belongs to no one," said Granny. "And to everyone."

"Chandra," Dara asked, "What are you doin' here?"

"None of your business."

"Is this where you got the crazy root, Chandra?"

"Shut your stupid mouth, Dara! Before I shut it for you!"

"What's this about a crazy root?" Granny Dilcie asked. "Chandra Elanor, please tell me that you have not entered through the Door to the Beyond."

"How do you know about that!" Estill screamed.

"You have passed over, too," Aurora said to Estill.

"What of it?" Chandra said.

"Oh, my child," Granny Dilcie said. "It is worse than I imagined."