77

Margaret-Dean Angeline was a witch!

Incredible!

Chandra had a lot to think about. She didn't tell Estill, but she knew exactly what she was implying. Some of Chandra's spells had not gone as planned.

Botched is the word she'd use.

What to do now?

Floyd Carlisle could not get his hands on Button's land. If he did, it would be catastrophic. The portal would be discovered. Most people would not be able to decipher the ancient language carved into the rocks, and the portal would remain forever closed or destroyed. But Margaret-Dean Angeline might be able to.

Estill had encouraged Chandra to get close to Berth. She'd wanted the girl to infiltrate the Carlisle camp, spy on them, but Chandra had been able to turn up nothing of value to help Estill.

Now things looked bleak. Just shy of hopeless.

She'd gone through the portal and spent all night gathering herbs and plants for Estill. Later that day, she'd driven into Hope Rock County to see if there was anything she could do to help Estill's cause. Turns out there wasn't. And she'd been spotted by some gray-haired crone standing outside the library who visited Granny Dilce once in a while.

Nobody else had noticed her. She'd let the time slip away. Her spell was only supposed to last for an hour, but Chandra had gone past that by several minutes. The fender bender she'd caused had provided sufficient diversion. Everyone's attention was on the wreck on Main Street.

Stop lights were easy to control.

But that nosy old lady who visited Granny had still spotted her.

Hadley Pell.

That was her name.

Chandra changed gears and sped around the corner. She took the dirt road that led deep into the mountains.

Granny's friend, Chandra brooded.

Probably under both the old lady's protection and Dara's.

Yes, indeed, Chandra thought, there is an awful lot to think about.