Theories

The next morning, everyone met in the restaurant like normal. Well... mostly everyone.

Things were as normal as it can get, given what's happened and all.

After everything that happened with the nightmares and the deaths of Ibuki, Peko, and Mikan, you didn't really get much sleep last night at all.

And so, you sat a lone table while idling picking at your food, waiting for the others to arrive. You couldn't even eat much anymore.

"Yo, are you gonna eat that?" Akane asked with a big grin on her face.

At least she's in better spirits than yesterday...

All you did was wave your hand at her, signaling that it was fine for her take it.

"Awesome! Thanks!"

You thought she was gonna scoop up your plate and go back to Nekomaru, but instead she sat next to you.

"Hey... I'm sorry..." she said seriously. "Ya know, for being an idiot yesterday. I was just... upset about what Monokuma did to Nekomaru... I mean... he's not a human anymore because of me... I appreciate ya stopping me."

"It's fine..." you muttered. "We were all frustrated and exhausted from the trial yesterday. Sometimes, I let my anger get the best of me too... but Nekomaru seems fine with what happened, so you should respect his wishes."

"Yeah, you're right... I wished I saw that yesterday... Well, anyway, thank you..." she then sat up, but you grabbed her arm. "E-Eh...?"

"Look... I know how you feel towards Nekomaru. I can see it clearly."

"I—I dunno what you're talking about..."

"I'm not gonna tell you what to do with your feelings, but... spend time with him as much as you can, okay? Cherish all the moments you can with him." you felt your eyes water. "Yo-You don't know how much someone means to you until they're gone... I learned that the hard way..."

"Y/N..."

"Listen... if you want to repay me for stopping you yesterday, then take my advice, okay? Any one of us could go at any moment. That's why we have to cherish our memories the best way we can..."

"You're right... You're right! I'm gonna do just that!" she then gives you a small hug. "You're a pretty cool dude!" she then stood up. "So... just to be clear... I can have your plate, right?"

You couldn't help but chuckle. "Sure, go for it."

And with that, Akane happily grabbed your plate before returning to Nekomaru. Once again, you were left alone, but it wasn't for long until—

"Hey." Mahiru greeted as she sat next to you. "Are you okay? You don't look so good... Did you sleep last night?"

Classic caring Mahiru...

"Barely..." you admitted with a sigh. "I mean, how could I sleep after what happened yesterday?"

"I get your point, but... you can't neglect your needs like that! Did you even eat?"

"No..."

"Geez... Ibuki, Peko, and Mikan wouldn't want you to be like this, ya know?"

"Yeah... maybe you're right..." you suddenly chuckled. "Mikan would be freaking out if she knew I didn't eat or sleep..." Once again, your eyes began to tear up. "She always looked out for us like that..."

"H-Hey... I didn't mean..." she stammered with a guilty look.

"D-Don't worry about it... I guess their deaths are still hitting me... I'll get over it."