𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟲: Not much has changed

We had all gathered in John Bs living room, waiting for JJ to finish making his sandwich before opening the envelope.

Now I knew that the envelope was from John Bs dad, I feel guilty for saying that it was a piece of shit, which is why Im here with them to show that I do support the younger teens.

"That bread had mould on it three days ago." Pope said as he walked towards the table we were all crowded around.

"I'll just pull off the bad parts." JJ said as he quickly fumbled around with the bread. The way he was so cool about it, reminded me of our childhood of when I had to make their pair of us sandwiches with mouldy bread which I did in fact pull of the bad parts as we couldnt afford to do anything else and I didnt want to have to steal stuff unless we really needed. "Plus, mould is good for you. Its just a natural organism."

"JJ." Kiara said before JJ ran up to the table, beside me mumbling as John B ripped open the package. Just as we all staired down intensely, JJ began gagging before he spat out the bread before rushing back over to us.

John B quickly pulled out a sheet and unfolded it to see a large map with marks all over it. "Holy shit." "Oh. X marks the spot." Pope said and I had to swallow my snarky remark knowing it wasnt the time.

"Longitude, latitude. Wait, theres something else in there." John B added as he tipped the bag to reveal a tape recorder. Quickly pressing the button, Big Johns voice filled the silent space as I let out a small gasp.

"Dear Bird." It started before JJ interrupted. "Whos Bird?" "Its what my dad called me."

"I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, youre filled with guilt and self- loving over our last fight but dont kill yourself just yet, kid. I didnt expect to find the merchant either."

Hearing those words my head shot up, looking around me to see all but John B looking at each other in surprise. As the recording continued I turned back to face John B- trying to read his expression.

"You were probably right to call me out. Wasnt exactly Father of the Decade." He continues reminding me of all the times I came here to bring JJ home or the sleep to get away from my house and John B was alone, his dad gone off on another trip.

"What can I say kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, were listenin to this in our brand new sugar shack down in Costa Rica, livin off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, thats what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If somethin happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you, Bird, even if I didnt always act like it. I'll see you on the other side." And just like that, it cuts off.

As I turned to JJ as his face split into a grin before he began rambling, I heard a chair skid and the noise of footsteps. Turning round, I see John B cowered in the corner of the room, crying. Slowly, I walked up to him, lightly rubbing his shoulder as I whispered soothing words to him, hearing Kie cutting JJ off. Despite the lack of empathy people have had towards me, I have always been able to care after the ones I love, epically in their darkest moment. Standing here, rubbing and trying to soothe the boy reminded me too much of the times I did it with younger JJ as he used to sob and cry in my arms.

___

The group was now gathered outside talking about their plans but I was tired and I felt as if the group wanted some time away from me. So I quickly gathered my things and told the group I was leaving before I began my treck home.

Knowing the walk from John Bs to my house would be about ten minutes, I put my headphones in and began my walk through the streets. Despite enjoying going on late night walks, I was more aware then usual of the pocket blade that hugged my ankle, hidden in my converse. Living in the cut my whole life, I know which streets are best to avoid this late at night.

The walk from the chateau to my house is fine. The ground is still warm from the summer sun and the breeze blowing through the trees feels nice against my sun kissed skin. It's a nice alone time walk to think before I have to be home and face the broken house.

I really hate going home. I try my hardest to stay at Blake's or John Bs or Elliots or literally anywhere but my own house. But I sometimes feel as if I have to, to give people space as they probably dont want me at their house every night just because I dont trust my own father to not do something. But it shouldnt be so bad today as he isnt home but I still hate is because of the flashbacks and nightmares I often get just from looking at the house.

As I got closer to the house, I pulled my earphones out and stuffed them and my phone into my backpack, preparing myself to step into the house.

As I closed the door to the house, I looked down to see a beer can, knowing it wasnt either mine or JJs my stomach dropped, my dads back. As quietly as possible I tried sneaking past the living room and to my bedroom but as I turned the corner, my eyes met with my dad's. As he looked at me, his face contorted into anger.

"And where have you been?" He asks, eyeing me up and down. His hair is messy and looks dirty like he hasn't washed it in a few days, his eyes bloodshot and baggy. His mouth twitches in the centre abnormally, it's unsettling.

"I was at John B's" I tell him, feeling nausea creep in. I had a feeling this wasnt going to go well. "John B, John B hm? You were probably sleeping with one of them that's what you were doing!" He stammers.

I step back and away from him creating distance between us, I'm big enough now that I could take him, unlike when I was little, and I couldn't get away from him or his belt. But I'd do anything to avoid ever having a physical altercation with him. He never stopped hitting me, but I never try and stop him, unless JJ came into the question then Id kill him for all I cared.

"No dad, I wouldnt do that, I swear" "Liar!" He shouts and before I can comprehend it, he had launched forward, his fist connecting with the side of my face, knocking me to the floor. Stinging erupts around my eyebrow, and I reach up feeling hot liquid against my fingers. I pull my hand away seeing blood covering my fingertips.

"What a waste." he murmurs, flailing his arms around and walking back and forth, "Such a waste such a waste, you are a waste" He spit, looking down at me.

Don't cry, don't cry. My throat tightens with a knot. I should be used to this by now, I've heard it all my life but does a child ever get numb to their parent telling them their a waste?

"A waste of money, a waste oxygen, a waste of energy, a waste of life." My lip trembles and it's not long until I feel tears begin to build in my eyes. "I've made a lot of mistakes in my life" he goes on, "But you, you were the biggest one of all. I should have had you aborted, I let your mother talk me into keeping you and you ruined my life" his voice begins to deepen, I know that means he's about to yell.

I hate when he yells. When anyone yells. "You ruined my life! You selfish bitch!" The words rip through his throat sounding raspy and horse as he slams his foot into my ribcage.

My legs are carrying me away before I can comprehend it, I dash into my room and slam the door, my sadness quickly turning to anger. "Your mother knew you were a mistake, its why she left." He shouted through the door. I turned round and slammed my fist into the door screaming back, "Shut up, shut the fuck up!"

___

1487 words

1487 words