𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟯: Funny story (John B and Sarah died)

We all stop outside at the side of the road as Kira and JJ wanted to check we have everything. I get out with them, but I dont begin to check the boxes. "Hey guys, I think Im gonna go to Blakes."I mumble watching as JJ spins round to face me confused, "What- what about saying goodbye to John B?"

"J, I think you guys need this alone. Go say goodbye to your best friend." I watch as he stutters before I give him one last hug, walking in the other direction. 

___

The walk to Blakes was a struggle. Every sound caused me to spin round, ready for fight. 

I finally arrive at Blakes, opening the door and walking into her room. She sees me, letting out a sigh she hugs me. "Im sorry, just since you were- I was scared of it happening again."

"I get it." I say before slumping onto her bed. "Tell me something. Anything, Blake, just tell me something."

"Im dating Riley." She blurts out, looking at my face for any emotions before I let out a laugh, her then following me. 

"Now that was unexpected." I laughed, "Since when?"

"Our argument after Midsummer. I felt so guilty, so I spoke to her, and she helped me realise that you were struggling rather than just being stubborn like normal. I really like her, Cassie."

"Is it bad to say but this reminds me off how we met. You know? Me struggling, and you being the light which pushed me forwards."

"Yeah, I get it." She wraps her arms around me.

___

I sit on the curb of the playground, watching as my little brother runs after the other children. Their mothers quickly pull their children away from him as they see his clothes ripped and tattered. 

Seeing a childs mother care for their children like that, not wanting to be seen with a pouge reminds me off my own mother; the mother who left a week ago. J still doesnt know what happened- he wouldnt understand, not at 6. But I do and it hurts to say the least. It hurts knowing your own mother is that embarrassed to be seen with a junkie of a husband she would leave her own children.

The same drug addict that would dump his kids on the curb of the playground to do drugs. That was two days ago, for two days we have been sleeping at random peoples houses before we quickly sneak away, showing back up at the playground, hoping he will soon come back to get us.

Seeing parents care for their children so much hurts. I watch with hurt eyes as tears slowly drag themselves down my face. 

A sudden tap of my shoulder, has me slowly turning round as a girl with bushy, brown, curly hair sits next to me, smiling. She smiles as if she doesnt have a care in the world. "Are you okay?"She softly speaks. 

I attempt to answer her back before I begin to blubber, her arms soon wrap around me, trapping me in a smell of strawberry. I freeze, confused at how someone so clean would want to hug someone so dirty. 

I pull back, wiping my eyes as I look at her, "Something bad has happened."

She looks confused, before she grabs my hand, pulling me to my feet she says, "Its okay, come to my mum. She fixes everything."

I let her drag me to a small table where a couple and 4-year-old are sat chatting. They all turn to me and the girl, the mother smiling at my tear-stained eyes. "Who is this sweet girl, Blake?"

Blake. Thats her name.

"Im Casey." I speak, slowly backing away as I feel their eyes on my clothes. 

"Somethings happened, mum. You can fix it right?" Blake asked with a smile as her mother nods smiling, "Of course I can. Casey, have you got anywhere you can go?"

I shake my head, tears soon filling my eyes again. "It's okay, it's okay."Her mother's arms wrap around me, "Let's go to my house and we can get you some new clothes, how about that?"

"No, no. My- my brother. He needs me to look after him." I pull away from her, realising she wasnt me to leave. She stops me from pulling away, "Hey. It's okay, he can come with us."

___

"Even then, your top priority was JJ." She mumbles

"He always was."

The silence is suddenly cut through by the sound of my phone, which shakes on Blakes bedside table. Realising she brought it here for me, I nod back to her as a thanks before picking the phone up. "Is this Casey Maybank?" A voice speaks.

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is the police department. We wanted to inform you that you need to arrive at the investigation tents that your brother, JJ Maybank is at as he is currently distressed."

The word distressed, causes red to flash in my brain, worry filling me as I grab my bag from the floor before running down the stairs, Blake quickly following me, shouting questions.

"What? Why?" I shout down the phone as I get to the bottom of the large staircase.

"We sadly had to inform him that John Booker Routledge and Sarah Elizabeth Cameron, has passed away in the storm."

I come to a halt, Blake almost tumbling into me as I drop the phone. Standing shocked, tears fill me eyes. "Casey? Casey, what did they say?"

Seeing as she gets no answer from me, she picks up my phone, ending it before I let out a sob. "They, they died. John B and Sarah are dead."

"Oh."

Silence falls over us as tears fall from both our eyes. Looking up to see Blakes teary eyes remind me of JJ, how he is struggling. "JJ."

I began to run again, Blake following as she wipes her tears, us both jumping into her car. I start it before speeding down the road, serving around cars as I attempt to not slide in the storm. "Casey!" Blake squeals as I almost hit a car.

____

I run into the tent, seeing the others with their parents as I crash into JJ, ignoring the pain in my side as I allow him to collapse in my arms, a few tears flowing down my own eyes as I think of Sarah. The girl who was always there for me. The young, sweet girl who's live has been ripped from her. 

I must stay strong, I tell myself as I stop crying, whispering comfort into JJs ear as he sobs. 

___

1110 words

1110 words