Chapter 8: Being Alone

The road in the village was difficult to walk on, especially the part leading to Xiao Liulang and Gu Jiao's house, with too many potholes that could easily trap the wheels.

The mule cart stopped at the village entrance.

"Brother Xiao." Xiao's fellow student jumped off the carriage first and helped Xiao Liulang down, then took Xiao Liulang's baggage.

After Xiao Liulang stood still, he turned his head and glanced at Gu Jiao.

He saw Gu Jiao lightly jump off the carriage and put the basket on her back.

Xiao Liulang withdrew his gaze and said to his fellow student, "You can go back now, no need to accompany me further."

It was indeed getting late, and the driver was getting impatient.

The fellow student said, "Okay, then I'll go. Don't forget the exam three days later. The academy won't be closed that day, so I won't come to pick you up. Remember to go on your own."

"Okay." Xiao Liulang nodded indifferently and took his baggage.

It was not easy to walk at night, and they didn't have a lantern, so Gu Jiao didn't move and waited silently for Xiao Liulang.

The fellow student glanced at her coldly, pulled Xiao Liulang aside, and whispered, "Brother Xiao, study hard for the next three days. If you pass the exam, you can live in the academy and won't be bullied by that wicked woman anymore! Don't worry about the leg, I'll continue to inquire about Doctor Zhang's news. Oh, and the osmanthus cake, just eat it yourself. Don't let that wicked woman take advantage of you!"

When Gu Jiao returned from the market with the basket, she was covered in sweat, but it had all dried up on the mule cart. Her little face was now red and pale in the moonlight, making it a bit dazzling.

Xiao Liulang caught a glimpse of her, and the fellow student wanted to say more, but Xiao Liulang interrupted him, "I got it, you can go now."

The fellow student opened his mouth, but Xiao Liulang ignored him and walked towards his home with his baggage and crutch.

Gu Jiao followed him.

Gu Jiao maintained just the right distance from him, not too close, but close enough to catch him if he fell.

However, Xiao Liulang was very familiar with this road, and nothing happened until they arrived home.

By now, the sky was completely dark, and every household had closed their doors, leaving only Xue Ningxiang coming out to pour bathwater and standing at the door for a while.

"Aunty Xiang, why aren't you coming in? What are you looking at?" Xue Ningxiang's grandmother lay on the sickbed inside, her voice hoarse.

Xue Ningxiang blinked and said, "Nothing, just looking around."

She must have seen it wrong. How could Xiao Liulang walk with that silly girl? Although they were a couple, they were more like enemies than enemies themselves.

Gu's old house.

Today, the eldest son cooked, and Zhou and her daughter Gu Yue'e carried the hot food to the hall and set the tableware.

In Gu's family, women do not sit at the table to eat. Only Gu Lao's father, the eldest son Gu Changhai, the second son Gu Changlu, and three grandsons sit at the table.

Old Lady Wu sat in the kitchen with her two daughters-in-law and granddaughter Gu Yue'e, eating.

Gu Lao's father was a manager, and he was more ambitious than most villagers who only knew how to eat from the land. They could not see meat and fish for most of the year, but Gu's family could eat two meals of meat a month.