Chapter 17: Gui Water

"Ah!" Xue Ningxiang screamed.

But Gu Jiao simply turned around and kicked the person away.

Xue Ningxiang was completely stunned, not understanding how Gu Jiao had done it!

After beating up the person, Gu Jiao left with her basket without even looking at Xue Ningxiang, as if she had only acted because those shameless people were blocking her way.

Xue Ningxiang snapped out of her stupor and trembled as she stood up. "Wait...wait for me!" she called after Gu Jiao.

Gu Jiao continued to walk forward.

Xue Ningxiang wanted to chase after her, but her clothes had been torn by those men, leaving her body exposed. She was so anxious that tears streamed down her face.

Gu Jiao stopped in her tracks and irritably ran her hand through her hair, pulling out her own cotton jacket from her basket and throwing it at Xue Ningxiang.

Xue Ningxiang was stunned, looking at the jacket and then back at Gu Jiao. "Aren't you cold?" she asked.

"If you're not going to wear it, give it back to me," Gu Jiao said, extending her hand.

"I'll wear it!" Xue Ningxiang hastily put on the jacket.

Gu Jiao's jacket was a little small, especially in the chest area, and Xue Ningxiang felt constrained.

She bent down to pick up the herbs that had fallen on the ground and whispered to Gu Jiao, "Thank you for earlier."

She really hadn't expected to run into something like this, nor had she expected Gu Jiao to come to her rescue. Her emotions were complicated, but regardless, her gratitude was sincere.

It was only at that moment that she was truly certain that Gu Jiao was different from before.

"Are you...not dumb anymore?" she cautiously asked.

Gu Jiao didn't answer her.

"Still stupid... otherwise, how could she save me? I used to bully her so much."

Gu Jiao: "..."

Suddenly, Xue Ningxiang saw the blood dripping from Gu Jiao's left hand: "You're injured!"

Gu Jiao calmly said, "It's not my blood."

She wasn't lying, it really wasn't hers.

However, for some reason, she still used a handkerchief to wipe away the bloodstains.

Xue Ningxiang looked back at the four thugs lying on the ground, wondering where the blood on Gu Jiao's hand came from. What was she doing earlier?

The two of them left the alley.

Gu Jiao looked up at the sky.

Xue Ningxiang suddenly grabbed her sleeve and looked at her pitifully, "Can I go back to the village with you?"

Gu Jiao furrowed her eyebrows slightly.

She wasn't going back to the village.

Xue Ningxiang felt that it was reasonable for Gu Jiao to refuse. After all, their relationship wasn't good, and Gu Jiao had already saved her, which was enough for their shared village. There was no need for Gu Jiao to bring her back to the village.

Xue Ningxiang silently withdrew her hand.

Gu Jiao said calmly, "I have to go to the academy first."

Xue Ningxiang's eyes lit up and she raised her head, "Can I come with you?"