Chapter 33: Little Coaxing

The Gu family had really been dealt a heavy blow this time. They were fined forty taels of silver, and their savings were all confiscated. Even Gu Dashun's hard-earned reputation was shattered.

For a long time to come, the Gu family would not have the energy to come looking for trouble.

Gu Jiao was very happy and ate half a bowl more at dinner.

It snowed a little in the afternoon, but it was not heavy, and it stopped after a while, not affecting travel on the roads, but it was a bit cold. Xiao Liulang's hands were frozen stiff when he got home.

Gu Jiao quickly handed him the ginger soup she had prepared.

Even when he was frozen like this, he still drank the ginger soup slowly and gracefully, exuding an innate elegance and grace.

Gu Jiao stared at him without blinking.

"What's wrong?" He turned his head and asked.

Gu Jiao, who was caught in the act, was not embarrassed at all and smiled mischievously, "Nothing, you drink up, I'll go get the food!"

Gu Jiao brought out the hot food from the pot and called the old lady to eat with them.

They had just started eating when an unexpected visitor arrived.

"I'll go answer the door," Gu Jiao put down her chopsticks.

"I'll do it." Xiao Liulang stood up first with his crutch.

"Eat your food," the old lady told Gu Jiao.

Although in the old lady's understanding, Xiao Liulang was her nephew and Gu Jiao was just her daughter-in-law, she never favored Xiao Liulang over Gu Jiao.

Gu Jiao continued eating while Xiao Liulang removed the door latch, opened the door, and found a young master and his servant standing outside instead of villagers.

The young master was dressed in luxurious clothing and had a noble temperament, indicating that he was from a wealthy family.

Xiao Liulang was surprised, and so were they. They had come to find Miss Gu, but they never expected a young boy to answer the door.

The young boy was wearing a white academy uniform from Tianxiang Academy. He had a clean temperament, was out of the ordinary, had delicate facial features, and was as beautiful as a painting.

To have such a refined and delicate young boy in this remote village was unexpected, and the master and servant were both stunned.

The young master spoke, "Excuse me, is this Miss Gu's house?"

"Who are you? What business do you have with the lady?" Xiao Liulang asked coldly.

Lady?

The young master was stunned again. "My surname is Qin..."

"Mr. Qin?" Gu Jiao, who appeared from somewhere, looked strangely at the young master outside the door. "Why are you here?"

The young master was so scared when he saw her that he almost turned and ran away. "I should be asking you that! What are you doing here?"

"This is my house. If I'm not here, where else would I be?" Gu Jiao replied.

"How could you be at Gu's..." The young master stopped halfway and suddenly realized something. He stared in shock and said, "You... you're Miss Gu?"

Gu Jiao raised her eyebrows and rubbed her chin. "So you didn't even know who I was."

He had been entangled with the original owner for so long, but he hadn't even bothered to find out her identity.