Chapter 43: Nightmare

Xiao Liulang hated New Year's Eve because every New Year's Eve, he would dream of endless flames.

He tried not to fall asleep, but as soon as he closed his eyes, he could deeply feel the despair within the flames.

"Xiao Liulang, let's make it clear, we are only nominally married! You cannot touch me!" Gu Jiao said seriously.

"Who wants to touch you?" he replied impatiently, turning his face away.

Gu Jiao brought a bowl of water and said, "Who knows? Men always say one thing but do another behind their backs. To prevent you from doing anything bad, I'll put a bowl of water here. If you dare to come over and spill this water in the middle of the night, you're a beast!"

"Okay, if I come over, then I'm a beast!"

How could he possibly go over to her? He didn't have any thoughts about this woman!

The next day when he woke up, he looked smugly at the bewildered Gu Jiao as if to say, "See? I'm not interested in you, right?"

But unexpectedly, Gu Jiao didn't feel happy, and instead slapped him and said, "You're worse than a beast!"

Xiao Liulang woke up with a start!

He sat up and realized that this wasn't his room. There were a few crooked "Fu" characters on the wall, and some ugly window decorations on the windowsill, all made by the old lady and Gu Xiaoshun.

Xiao Liulang finally remembered where he was and looked over to his side.

Gu Jiao was lying on her side facing him, with her chubby cheeks squished and her little mouth puckered up.

She had been holding his hand all night.

Xiao Liulang thought of that strange beast dream, and his handsome eyebrows furrowed as he coldly pushed away Gu Jiao's hand!

Unhappy with being rejected in her sleep, Gu Jiao grumbled and grabbed his hand again.

Xiao Liulang once again removed her hand, but it was of no use, she still clung onto him.

He struggled many times, but eventually he got tired and fell asleep.

The nightmare did not appear until dawn.

Feng Lin stayed in Qingquan Village for three days, and Xiao Liulang and Gu Jiao slept together for three nights. Except for the first night when she grabbed his hand, it did not happen again. They both used their hands and feet to move around, and every time Xiao Liulang woke up, he found that they were tangled up in the same blanket.

When he got annoyed, he would ask her, "Are you doing this on purpose?"

"Hmm?" Gu Jiao would look at him innocently.

It made Xiao Liulang uncertain about who was the one not sleeping honestly, and he might have been the one who dragged her into the blanket...

Today was the day when Xiao Liulang's stitches would be removed. Gu Jiao could have done it at home, but it would be too obvious. Moreover, they had finished the herbal medicine from the old lady and needed to get more.

Although the herbal medicine was only an auxiliary treatment, it was indeed more effective with it.

After breakfast, Gu Jiao, Xiao Liulang, and Feng Lin took Uncle Luo's cart to the Hui Chun Tang in town.

The staff had all gone back for the Lunar New Year, leaving only the two owners, Mr. Wang, and the old doctor who had been posing as a famous physician for Xiao Liulang.

The three of them came specifically to see the results after the stitches were removed.

Not only them, but even Gu Jiao was looking forward to it.

She was certain that there were no mistakes during the surgery, but the actual recovery still depended on the final outcome.

The old doctor removed the stitches, and everyone's attention immediately turned to Xiao Liulang.

The surgery involved too many things, and Second Uncle Luo had not given up on the idea of curing the young lord's illness, even though he had been scolded by his own master when he returned to Beijing for the Lunar New Year.

Wang Zhan-gui had some hope for a successful surgery, after all, he was a kind-hearted person; but he also hoped for the surgery to fail, as the premise of being a kind-hearted person was to first be a person, and if he died, he would become a ghost.

"Treating Little Hou Ye's illness can really lead to death!

Xiao Liu-lang sat in a chair, his leg that had just had the wires removed was slowly moving towards the ground, his crutch was next to him, but he didn't reach out to take it.

He stood up, holding onto the chair, first using his uninjured left foot. When he took the first step with his right foot, he felt his foot give way, and his whole body fell forward!

Gu Jiao quickly caught him and hugged him tightly.

No one said anything about the young couple, but Xiao Liu-lang's ears burned.

Gu Jiao didn't notice his strangeness and all her attention was focused on his ankle.

"Are you okay?" she asked, staring at his ankle.

Xiao Liu-lang shook his head, "I'm fine."

He had been injured for half a year, using crutches for half a year, and his right foot rarely bore any weight. Every time he did, he would feel a piercing pain.

Although he didn't manage to stand still just now, it didn't seem to hurt anymore.

Xiao Liu-lang took the crutch and took another step, confirming that it didn't hurt anymore.

He usually had no expression, but this time he was somewhat stunned, seemingly not expecting that he could really be cured to this extent.

He thought he would be lame and in pain for the rest of his life...

"Xiao Xiong, are you really better or not?" Feng Lin asked anxiously.

"I don't feel any pain, I just feel a little weak," Xiao Liu-lang said.

Feng Lin couldn't help but ask, "So...is this really better? Why do you feel weak?"

The old doctor said slowly, "Mr. Feng, don't worry. Since Xiao Gong-zi doesn't feel any pain, it means the surgery was very successful. But after being injured for too long, the blood and energy are stagnant, the muscles and bones are weak, and the ankle joint is stiff. It still requires careful adjustment and difficult training."

"Can you recover to your previous state?" Feng Lin asked with concern.

The old doctor looked at Gu Jiao without leaving a trace and smiled, "As long as Xiao Gong-zi is not afraid of hardship."

Gu Jiao: "Husband, you can definitely do it!"

Xiao Liu-lang: "Hmm, if you can learn to write, then I can learn to walk."

Gu Jiao, who didn't want to write at all: - _ -