Chapter 54: Narrow Path

The semi-transparent soap gauze on the screen fence hung down to the ankle, but still could not conceal her graceful figure.

Women in the town were not fond of wearing screen fences, only noblewomen in the capital would be so particular.

The hand she placed on the arm of her maid was delicate as jade, slender and beautiful. Just by looking at this hand, one could tell it was the hand of someone very wealthy.

After she got off the carriage, she went straight into the Huichun Hall without stopping for even a moment. However, everyone around was stunned and couldn't recover for a long time.

For such a prominent figure to appear in this poor little town was just like a fairy descending to earth.

"Whose daughter is this? Qin family's?"

"I don't think so. Qin family's young lady doesn't have such an expensive air!"

"Could it be the Lu family's?"

"It doesn't look like it."

The two largest families in the town were the Qin family and the Lu family. One had a wealthy merchant marrying into the family, and they were extremely rich; the other had a county magistrate sitting in the family and ruled the town with an iron fist.

Their daughters were naturally extremely noble, and ordinary people rarely had the chance to see them. But for some reason, they just felt that this young lady could not be from the town.

Of course, there were also those who had really seen the daughters of the Qin and Lu families, and the difference was like night and day. The daughters of the Qin and Lu families were not even good enough to hold the other's shoes.

When such a prominent figure entered the Huichun Hall, it inevitably made people take a second look at the Huichun Hall. They failed to cured people before, and now there was such a noble person willing to come to their door. Was it because she was foolish, or did the Huichun Hall really have some ability?

"Is your boss here?" The young girl entered the lobby and asked the stushopkeeper Wang

shopkeeper Wang was stuttering, having lived for more than half his life, he had never seen such a beautiful and noble woman.

The young maid frowned unhappily and said, "My young miss is asking you a question. Is your master in or not?"

"Young, young miss?"

Could it be that this woman is the eldest sister of the Hou Mansion's young masters, the dragon and phoenix twins?

Oh my god!

In his lifetime, he actually saw such a powerful and noble person!

Wang shopkeeper quickly came back to his senses and nervously said, "Yes, yes, I'll go and call the master out."

"No need, just inform him and I will go see him myself."

"Of course, of course!"

He couldn't let someone from the Hou Mansion wait. Since the second young master was free at the moment, Wang shopkeeper took the initiative to escort the woman to the study in the hall.

Wang guess was correct, the woman had indeed come to deliver the medical fee, but in addition to paying the fee, she also gave a lot of silver as a reward.

When treating the young master of the Hou Mansion, the woman was not present and had only heard about the events afterwards, but she still wanted to know the details.

"My younger brother was very satisfied with the old doctor and his young apprentice. Next time, he will invite them again." After speaking, the woman got up and left.

The Hou Mansion's eldest daughter came to the Hui Chun Tang in person to express her gratitude for their skillful treatment of the young master of the Hou Mansion, but that did not mean that the Hui Chun Tang had the qualifications to socialize with the Hou Mansion's eldest daughter.

The second young master was a smart man, he knew his own worth and knew that he could not befriend the Hou Mansion's daughter, so he did not try to flatter her.

He politely fulfilled the woman's request and personally escorted her to the front door.

"Second young master, please go back." The woman said calmly.

Er Dongjia bowed and made a salute until the young lady had gotten into the carriage and left before turning around and heading back to the Hui Chun Tang.

After traveling for a while in the carriage, the young lady suddenly looked towards her waist, her face changing slightly. "Oh no, my jade pendant is missing!"

"Is it the one that Marquis Hou gave you? Weren't you wearing it when we left today? How could it be gone?" The little maid searched frantically, but it was nowhere to be found in the carriage.

"Could it be... that it was left at Hui Chun Tang? We haven't been anywhere else today." The maid asked.

The young lady nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, go and look for it."

The carriage turned around and stopped near Hui Chun Tang. The maid lifted her skirt and entered the hall.

When Wang the shopkeeper saw her come back, he couldn't help but startle. "Miss, why have you returned? Do you have any other orders?"

"My mistress's jade pendant is missing! Hurry and have someone look for it!" The maid said unkindly.

As soon as he heard this, Wang the shopkeeper became cautious. "Excuse me, what does Miss Gu's jade pendant look like? What kind of jade is it?"

The maid gestured, "It's this big, circular, made of mutton-fat jade."

Wang the shopkeeper immediately led the staff in the hall to search around, while the maid also went to Er Dongjia's study. She remembered that her mistress had sat there before and thought that perhaps it had been left there.

Er Dongjia was not there, and the maid didn't wait for him to return. She searched through the room but found nothing.

Then, as she was passing by a room, she noticed that the door was slightly ajar. She hesitated for a moment, but still went in.

There was a worn-out basket on the table in the room, which looked out of place. Inside the basket were some mountain goods and a shabby little box.

The maid looked at the box with disgust, but suddenly noticed a purse next to it. She opened the purse and felt that something was not right. She dumped everything out of the purse, scattering it messily on the table, and a few pieces of silver fell to the ground.

The maid didn't bother to pick them up. She stared straight at the jade pendant and a jade thumb ring that fell out with it.

She murmured in astonishment, 'Isn't this Miss's jade pendant and the young master's jade ring? How did they end up here?'

Gu Jiao was on her period and went to the ceremonial room. As soon as she entered, she saw a young girl rummaging through her purse.

She walked into the room coldly, took a look at the mess on the table and on the floor, and asked, 'What did you do?'

The little maid looked up at Gu Jiaolai.

Gu Jiao was dressed as a village girl, with a red birthmark on her face, and the little maid showed undisguised disdain: 'So what if it was me? Are these things yours?'

Gu Jiao held her hands and looked at her quietly, without a trace of guilt or fear in her eyes.

The little maid was a servant of the Hou Mansion, and her living expenses were not inferior to those of the young ladies of wealthy families. Her presence alone made many people feel uneasy. Yet a village girl dared to look at her with such eyes.

The little maid said angrily, 'Are you deaf? Didn't you hear me asking you a question?'

Gu Jiao replied with a scoff, 'Hmph.'

'You...' The little maid was infuriated by her attitude and said with increasing impatience, 'You stole my master's things, and now you won't admit it, right?'