Chapter 14: Repaying Kindness

Gu Jiao finally understood why the original owner and Gu Xiaoshun could play together - their intelligence was in the same league.

Today, Gu Jiao made stewed wild chicken with mushrooms. Although the taste of wild chicken was delicious, the meat was tougher than domestic poultry, so she stewed it for two full hours to make it tender.

She also made a refreshing cold salad of wood ear mushrooms and shredded white radish in sauce, with white rice and cornmeal cakes fried in an iron pan as the main dish.

Although Xiao Liulang only got the lowest score, Gu Jiao still valued him, so she killed a chicken to celebrate with him. However, she didn't say anything about it.

"Go call your brother-in-law to eat." She lifted the fried cake off the pan and said to Gu Xiaoshun.

"Okay!" Gu Xiaoshun went off happily.

Xiao Liulang had just finished copying a book.

After some excellent examinees passed the civil service exams or imperial examinations, they would borrow books and notes with their own annotations from bookstores, copy them, and sell them to other examinees.

Xiao Liulang's handwriting was pleasing to the eye, and the books he copied sold the best.

"Brother-in-law, it's time to eat!" Gu Xiaoshun poked his head through the door crack.

Thick-skinned people is a blessing, even though he had been bullied Xiao Liulang a few days ago, he was now acting affectionate like nothing had happened.

Xiao Liulang's expression remained as cold as ever, showing no surprise at Gu Xiaoshun's change in attitude. Of course, he also didn't give Gu Xiaoshun any face for his past foolishness.

Suddenly, Gu Xiaoshun felt that he was quite at ease with his brother-in-law.

The three of them sat down to eat.

Gu Xiaoshun picked up a mushroom first. He remembered that his sister didn't cook, so it was his first time trying her cooking. He didn't expect it to be so delicious!

He then picked up a piece of chicken.

Heaven!

It was so delicious that he wanted to cry!

Gu Jiao scooped out two large chicken legs, one for Xiao Liulang and one for Gu Xiaoshun.

The chicken legs were also well-stewed, full of meat juice, and when he took a bite, Gu Xiaoshun felt like he was going to ascend to heaven.

Xiao Liulang was very calm.

But if Gu Jiao knew about his appetite before, she probably wouldn't think that way.

The two finished a bowl of rice quickly, and Gu Xiaoshun went to serve more rice. He saw that Xiao Liulang's bowl was also empty and said, "Brother-in-law, let me serve you another bowl!"

"Okay." Xiao Liulang didn't refuse.

It's unknown whether it was because he didn't refuse his good intentions or because he didn't refuse his brother-in-law's request.

Gu Xiaoshun quickly brought food to the table. This was the most comfortable meal he had ever had, with good food and a good atmosphere at the table. Although his sister and brother-in-law didn't talk, he could! All three of them were happy eating together!

After the meal, Xiao Liulang helped Gu Jiao clean up the dishes, while Gu Xiaoshun went to chop firewood in the backyard.

After entering the kitchen, Xiao Liulang suddenly placed a purse in front of Gu Jiao.