Chapter 42: New Year's Eve

Feng Lin's family background was only slightly better than that of Xiao Liulang in the past, but it couldn't be considered good. This could be seen from his daily expenses on food and clothing.

However, when it came to dealing with Xiao Liulang, he was always unconditionally generous. Take the red paper for example, one sheet cost several dozen wen, and buying a dozen or so would almost cost half a tael of silver.

He usually only ate pickled vegetable buns at the academy.

In the evening, snowflakes were falling from the sky.

Feng Lin was alone in the academy.

He was reading in his dormitory, and one lamp was not bright enough, but he didn't want to light the second lamp.

The cold wind blew in from the crack in the door, making him shiver.

He didn't burn charcoal, one reason was because the academy didn't allow it, and the other reason was that he didn't want to waste it.

There were four people living in this dormitory, and it didn't feel too cold when they were all there, but now that he was alone, he felt that all the cold wind was blowing into him.

This was his first year spent in a foreign place during New Year's Eve.

He missed his parents and his sisters at home, but he couldn't go back.

The distance was real, and he could save a few taels of silver on travel expenses, which was not fake, but more importantly, he wanted to spend all his time studying and not waste a single day.

His family had been single-child for three generations, and no second son was born in his generation either. His sisters had sacrificed their entire lives to support him in studying, one had married a widower as a concubine, and the other was engaged to a tea merchant over fifty years old.

They had put their entire lives into supporting him, so he had to work hard and return home in glory.

After blowing on his hands for warmth, Feng Lin tightened his blanket and continued to bury himself in his books.

Dong dong dong! Suddenly, someone knocked on the door.

Strange, who could it be at this hour?

The academy was on holiday, everyone had left, even the teachers had gone home for the New Year, and the empty academy was left with only him.

"Could it be a ghost..." He scared himself and turned pale, wrapping himself tightly in his blanket, and asked, "Who are you?"

"It's me."

A familiar girl's voice came from outside.

Feng Lin lifted his blanket, put on his shoes, and walked over to open the door. He saw Gu Jiao, covered in snow, and thought to himself that he might as well see a ghost! This is the men's dormitory! What is a woman doing running here?

"Why are you here? Did something happen to Xiao Xiong?" Feng Lin couldn't think of any other reason. Without waiting for Gu Jiao to answer, he immediately put on a cloak and asked her, "Where is Xiao Xiong?"

"He's at home," Gu Jiao said.

Without saying another word, Feng Lin left the room.

Watching his anxious back, Gu Jiao calmly said, "There's no carriage."

It was the New Year, and they ran into a snowstorm. They couldn't hire a cart or a carriage.

Feng Lin said without thinking, "If there's no carriage, can't we walk? Hurry up!"

"Okay," Gu Jiao said.

She wasn't the one who couldn't walk.

Indeed, it turned out that Feng Lin's physical stamina was really no match for Gu Jiao. Along the way, while Gu Jiao remained calm and collected, Feng Lin almost collapsed several times.

Finally, they arrived at Gu Jiao and Xiao Liulang's home, and Feng Lin felt like his legs were no longer his own. Using the last bit of strength he had left, he pushed open the door and was taken aback by the scene inside.

There sat Xiao Liulang in the main room chair, watching the old lady teach Gu Xiaoshun how to cut paper window decorations. Xiao Liulang looked healthy and rosy-cheeked, without any signs of illness.

"Welcome back," Xiao Liulang greeted the two of them.

"Oh, it's Little Feng, come and sit!" the old lady also greeted them.

Gu Xiaoshun had always disliked Feng Lin, but surprisingly, he didn't give him a dirty look today.

Feng Lin was at a loss and looked at Gu Jiao in confusion. "Isn't it Brother Xiao who..."

Gu Jiao shrugged. "That's what you said, not me."

Feng Lin: "..."

Why didn't he realize that this woman was so cunning before?

Feng Lin spent his first New Year away from home in harmony with Gu Jiao and Xiao Liulang. According to village customs, Gu Jiao made dumplings, and following the traditions from Xiao Liulang's hometown, she also made osmanthus sugar rice cakes. As soon as the flavors of his hometown rushed to his taste buds, tears streamed down his face.

Not because he was touched, but because it was just too, too, too delicious!

Ah! This little wicked woman was a local, right? Why did she make the rice cakes so fragrant? Feng Lin ate until his tears were streaming.

At first, the food was indeed so good that he cried, but later on, it reminded him of his homesickness, and he began to worry about his siblings and elderly parents back home.

He didn't know how they had been doing during the year he was away."

Gu Xiaoshun saw him crying so miserably that for the first time, he didn't scold him and even gave him his own portion of sugar year cake.

This was undoubtedly a lively New Year's Eve for Feng Lin, and also for Gu Jiao and the others.

In Gu Jiao's past life, she spent every New Year's Eve alone in the organization. After growing up, she moved from the laboratory to another room, but she was still the only person there.

Gu Xiaoshun usually spent the New Year with his family, but no one paid attention to him. For example, if he ran away tonight, he guaranteed that no one would notice.

The old lady didn't remember how she spent the New Year before, but she was happy this year. She pasted couplets herself, and even taught the silly Gu Xiaoshun how to make paper-cut decorations. His work was even worse than hers, which made her feel better! In addition, Jiao Jiao made an exception and let her have five pieces of preserved fruit. She usually only gave her two.

Xiao Liu Lang was very calm. He was never a person who showed his emotions, but Gu Jiao could feel the faint sadness emanating from him.

More than usual.

The group stayed up until midnight.

There were only three rooms in the house, so it was inconvenient for the old lady to share a room with someone else. Gu Jiao then cleaned up Xiao Liu Lang's room and let Feng Lin stay there temporarily.

Although Feng Lin had a good relationship with Xiao Liu Lang, he didn't know that the young couple had never shared a room until now. He was very happy to stay.

Including the night at the inn, this was the second time the two of them slept in the same bed. Gu Jiao's bed was much wider and the blanket was thicker than the one at the inn.

The lights were not turned off on New Year's Eve, and the oil lamp on the table emitted a faint light.

The two lay in their respective beds, and Xiao Liu Lang closed his eyes. Gu Jiao knew he was not asleep.

"Did we have a good year?" Gu Jiao asked softly.

Before Xiao Liu Lang could answer, a slender hand reached into his bed, grabbing his cold and stiff hand.

Gu Jiao: "Next year will be even better."

 The implied meaning is: I'll be spending it with you too!!!