Chapter 15: A Surprise

Gu Dashun's reading ability was excellent not only because of his sharp mind, but also due to his diligence.

He woke up earlier than Zhou Shi and Gu Yue'e, and was currently studying in his room. When he heard his father calling him, he put down his books and walked out, asking, "What's the matter, Dad?"

As soon as he spoke, he saw a middle-aged man outside the door.

He vaguely felt that the man's face was familiar, but couldn't remember where he had seen him before. However, he was certain that the man's attire and demeanor were extraordinary, and he wondered why he had come to their house.

"Dad, what did you say just now? I was studying and didn't hear clearly," he turned to Gu Changhai and asked.

Gu Changhai pointed at the middle-aged man and said with a smile, "This is the manager of the Tianxiang Academy. He has come to deliver your admission letter!"

"Admission letter?" Gu Dashun was just as puzzled as Gu Changhai. The academy had already notified them that the exam results would be released three days after the test, and the admission letters would be available for collection at the academy's east gate seven days after the results were announced.

It was still three days before the deadline, so why had the admission letter been delivered to their doorstep, and by the academy's manager no less?

The middle-aged man also realized this and smiled, "It seems that there has been a misunderstanding. The letter in my hand is not for the examinee, but for another young master Gu."

"Another young master Gu?" Gu Changhai said curiously, "But we only have Dashun as an examinee."

The middle-aged man maintained his polite smile and said, "Perhaps I was not clear earlier. Is Young Master Gu Xiaoshun here?"

Both father and son were stunned.

It took Gu Changhai a while to regain his voice, "You...you...you must have made a mistake, right? Gu Xiaoshun didn't take the exam."

Gu Xiaoshun was a troublemaker, a rascal, and would never take the exam, let alone pass it!

He wouldn't even have a chance to pass it!

A middle-aged man with a warm voice smiled and said, "I didn't make a mistake, it's Gu Xiaoshun. My master personally recommended him and exempted him from the entrance exam."

Just as Gu Changlu got out of bed, he heard his son's name and walked over, saying, "What's wrong with Xiaoshun? Did he cause trouble again? The little rascal! I'm going to beat him up!"

Gu Changlu had just woken up and looked unkempt, but the middle-aged man's smile remained unchanged. "My master fell down the mountain and was fortunate enough to be rescued by Master Gu Xiaoshun. So, this matter is settled. Please hand over the admission documents to Master Gu Xiaoshun and he will start school in four days."

"We can't afford to pay for two sets of clothing!" Gu Changhai suddenly spoke up.

Gu Changlu was still confused and didn't quite understand what had happened.

The middle-aged man looked at Gu Dashun and then at Gu Changhai. This time, there was no smile in his eyes. "It's written in the documents that the clothing is all free of charge. Additionally, I have prepared the books and school uniforms. Please pass them on to Master Gu Xiaoshun."

Although his father and uncle didn't notice, Gu Dashun did. The other party called him "this candidate" when referring to him, but always referred to Gu Xiaoshun as "Master Gu". Moreover, he had ranked second in the exams, but the other party didn't even know that it was his family.