Chapter 57: Parents

After leaving the clinic, Gu Jinyu went straight to a tea house in town, where Madam Hou had been waiting for her.

Gu Jinyu entered the tea room and rushed into Madam Hou's arms like a swallow, calling out "Mother" in a tender and affectionate voice.

Madam Hou held her daughter, who she had not seen for a long time, and said, "How old are you? You still want to cuddle up in your mother's arms? Shameless."

Gu Jinyu hugged her tighter and coquettishly said, "I'm still your daughter and Father's daughter, why is it shameless?"

Madam Hou pinched her small nose and said, "You've been spoiled by your father too much!"

Gu Jinyu pouted and said, "Well, who made me his only precious daughter?"

Madam Hou laughed and asked her, "Did you successfully pay the medical fee at Hui Chun Tang?"

At the mention of this, Gu Jinyu's eyes avoided hers.

Madam Hou noticed her daughter's abnormality and asked, "What's wrong? Is Hui Chun Tang not satisfied with the payment?"

The payment for the medical fee was actually a big misunderstanding. Madam Hou thought the servants had paid, while the servants thought Madam Hou had paid. If Madam Hou hadn't asked about it, they would have kept delaying the payment.

It was also because of this that Madam Hou decided to go to Hui Chun Tang herself, but she met her daughter who had just arrived from the capital. After hearing the whole story, Gu Jinyu took on the responsibility of paying the medical fee without hesitation. However, Madam Hou didn't idle either, and went up the mountain to light incense for Buddha.

"It's not that Hui Chun Tang is unsatisfied with the payment, it's..." Gu Jinyu explained the whole thing to Madam Hou in detail, without exaggeration or concealment. However, she didn't deliberately emphasize the ugly appearance of the girl from the village who had the conspicuous red birthmark on her left cheek, because her mother had taught her not to judge people by their looks since she was young.

"I was wrong. I shouldn't have been so impulsive," Gu Jinyu admitted her mistake and lowered her head.

Madam Hou spoke with emphasis, "There are always people more noble than us in this world. Just because you have a higher status than her doesn't mean you can look down on her. If you meet someone more noble than you in the future, wouldn't they also be able to look down on you?"

Although Madam Hou loved her daughter, she also had principles.

Gu Jinyu wrapped her arms around Madam Hou's arm coquettishly and said, "I am the daughter of the Hou Mansion, who can look down on me?"

Madam Hou couldn't help but scold her, "You!"

"But what about my little brother's jade ring?" Gu Jinyu asked.

Madame Hou replied, "Your brother said it was an accident that she took it. You know your brother wouldn't lie."

But Gu Jinyu still didn't understand. "What do you mean she accidentally took it? How does he know it was an accident? Did he see her?"

Madame Hou indulged her daughter, but when it came to her son, she couldn't enforce the rules. After all, her son was not long for this world, and she didn't want to constrain him with rules.

Her son didn't want to talk about what happened that day, so she didn't ask.

It was just a jade ring. If it was gone, it was gone. As long as her son was happy, that was all that mattered.

Gu Jinyu snorted and said, "Last time, I accidentally took something of his, but he didn't speak to me for a whole month! Am I still his sister?"

Madame Hou playfully scolded her daughter and said, "Of course you are! Is the girl who took the jade finger ring his sister?"