twenty-five

"Of course, your father told you that. He couldn't have accepted the fact that his wife cheated on him. And after Dylan chose to stay with Kiara's mother, because she got pregnant at the same time, your mother, Isaiah, as an act of despair or whatever, overdosed on sleeping pills, right? And she died? Your fiancé wanted you to do exactly the same, Kiara. He wanted your death, baby. They wanted to see Dylans suffering after the death of his only daughter."

"What?!" My heart was racing. "Isaiah, tell me this isn't the truth."

• • •

"Isaiah, answer me!" I shout.

"Kiara, please listen to me, let me explain before you jump to conclusions."

"Oh my god, explain?! So, this is the truth?!"

"Not exactly. I mean, I was about to tell you everything a minute ago on the balcony."

"No, I can't believe it. How could I have trusted you in the first place?! I should've known better than to trust my family's worst enemy. Oh god, and all the signs that I've been ignoring? I even asked you at the very beginning if you knew who I was the very first time we met and you said you weren't sure, while you knew exactly who I was, right?" I spoke without taking one breath of air from the adrenaline.

"Kiara, please, calm down and hear me out. Love, I swear it's not as it seems."

"Tell me just one thing: did you show up in my life intentionally to take revenge on my father?"

"Kiara-"

"Just fucking yes or no!"

"AT first, yes, but I fell in love with you, very soon."

"Keep that bullshit to yourself. If you fell in love with me, you would've confessed it all by now. I trusted you, Isaiah! I let you learn my deepest secrets. I told you how I always felt like a pawn for every other man in my life, even my goddamn father, and you did what? Just the same as everyone else! I HATE you."

Tears started streaming down my face, I covered my face with my shaking hands, trying to catch my breath. I never felt more broken, my heart was crushed knowing the man I loved was the reason for it. I loved him, I truly fell in love with him, and not ever did I once expect it to end like this. He was supposed to make me the happiest woman alive, but instead he made me the most broken person on this planet, instead.

"Kiara, please you don't know the full story." Isaiah says, pulling me into his arms. "Let me explain."

"It doesn't matter, anymore, Isaiah." I say pushing him off. "Hunter, get me out of here."

I turn around and open the door.

"Kiara, what the hell are you doing?!" Asks Isaiah.

"That doesn't matter anymore." I leave the apartment and stand outside, waiting for Hunter to come out.

"We're even now, Rhodes." Hunter whispers.

"Fuck off!" He shouts back. "It's not over."

Hunter and I are in the car now, I feel the tears slowly roll down my face as I suffer in this silent car.

"Kiara, you may think the worst things about me, but I loved you. I agreed to my father's idea about us getting married for their business purposes because you were always my crush. I always wanted you to be mine. I'm sorry, I didn't think about the consequences-"

"I don't want to listen to this, Hunter." I reply. "I love Isaiah. Like I've never loved a man before.'

"Ouch."

"Sorry, but it's the truth. I'm telling you this because I don't want you to get your hopes up. I know, you haven't come for me because you love me, but becasue you want to take revenge on Isaiah."

"if you love him, then why are you with me, now?"

I take a deep breath and take a moment to think before I answer.

"Because I'm sick of being a pawn in men's games. Can you drop me off somewhere?"

"Of course."

"Wait up, I'll get the address."

I pull out my phone and dial a number. It rings a few times before someone picks it up.

"I need your adress. I need your help, please dont ask any questions. I'm barely holding on."

My voice was shaking so much, I could hardly get the words out of my mouth I was trying so desperately to hold the sobs that were trying to escape, I could tell everytime Hunter glanced at me he had a lump in his throat.

"Kiara?"

"Hm?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I ruined your relationship."

"If it was based on a lie i don't want it."

I look in the rearview mirror and see a car speeding up behind us until its next to us. I don't get a good look until it swerves in fron of us. Hunter slams on the breaks and the other car comes to a stop. Isaiah hops out and runs to the passenger side of Hunters car.

"Kiara, please talk to me. I'm not letting you go."

I hesitantly stepped out of the car and Isaiah backed up, leaving room between us. He had his hands clenched into fists and his whole body was shaking. His eyes were swollen and red and his dark blinking eyelashes had heavy tears. Pain written all over his face and his voice. I never heard his voice to be so quavering. To a bystander or someone who didnt know the situation, we had to look ridiculous. Isaiah was wearing only his trousers, I was wearing his shirt and shorts.

Only thing is, we weren't laughing. That day our world fell apart. Mine and his.

"I love you, please believe me." He spoke as his voice cracked. "Believe me, I regretted that I agreed to be apart of my fathers game; every damn day since I got to know you. You don't know how my life looked since my mother died. My father was telling me about my mother, about your father and about revenge, every single day. He raised me as if that goddamn revenge was my lifes purpose. I hate myself for it."

I took a deep breath, with every word he spoke, it was harder and harder for me to listen.

"But ever since I laid eyes on you, I knew I couldnt do it, and I did everything I could to protect you."

"You should've stayed away from me if you wanted to protect me! Do you even hear yourself?! How sick in the head one must be to want another persons death. You'll get what you wanted, Isaiah!"

"Ki, please don't say that." He says as he stepped closer and gently grabbed my hand, but I yanked it back.

"Stay the hell away from me!" I turn around and open the car door and slam it behind me.

Crumbled. That day my whole world crumbled down.

Daniels house

"Kiara?" Daniel asks, as he steps out of the house, to see me slowly walking up his driveway with tears still in my eyes. "What happened? What the hell is he doing with you? Did he hurt you?!" He asks, referring to Hunter.

"Not him." I turn around to Hunter, whos standing behind me. "Thank you Hunter, but now go. I don't want to see you, ever again. You're as twisted as he is."

Daniel lets me into his house and gives me clothes to change into, we stand awkwardly in his living room.

"Sorry for the mess, I wasn't expecting company."

"Im the one that should be apologizing, I showed up here out of the blue."

"After what you said to me, I'm glad you came."

"Daniel? Did you know about his plan? About the revenge?"

"No, I swear, I had no idea."

"Daniel, I need your help with something." My eyes start to swell with tears quickly, Daniel steps closer and places his hands around me.

"I'll do anything."

"Every man in my life has used me, I have no more strength to pretend that I'm strong, while I'm not. And I-"

"Shhh, Kiara. Anything."