Chapter 50 ~ Overdue

Chapter Theme:
Have You Ever Been In Love by The Ivy

Chapter Theme:Have You Ever Been In Love by The Ivy

PENNY

"BITCHSHIEWAP, you okay?" I snapped out of my reverie when I heard Coraʼs voice from beside me.

Lumingon ako sa kaniya at nakita siyang nakaupo sa kaniyang kama, hawak-hawak ang isang maliit na box. Bakas ang pag-aalala sa kaniyang mga matang nakatingin sa akin.

Agad naman akong tumango at pumilit ng ngiti. "Yep, Iʼm okay. Just thinking about something."

She abruptly sighed. "I told you kasi. You donʼt have to visit me here everyday. Binabantayan din naman ako ni Dad most of the times. Baka magka-conflict sa schedule mo sa trabaho dahil sa araw-araw mong pag-visit dito," panenermon niya at tiningnan ako na para bang dismayado.

"Look whoʼs stealing the friend mom role in the group," I joked to subtly divert the topic. Good thing that it worked and she just rolled her eyes.

Ibinaling niya uli ang tingin sa hawak-hawak niyang box. It was given to her by Remi when they visited before. Sabi niya, surprise gift niya raw ito kay Cora pero hanggang ngayon, hindi pa rin ito binubuksan ni Cora.

"Lagi mo na lang pinagmamasdan 'yan. Donʼt you want to open it?" I asked, leaning against my seat with my arms crossed.

She quickly shook her head. "I want to, but Remi told me to open it only if Iʼm sad." Then, she raised her head and met my gaze, a smile slowly crept up to her face. "But Iʼm never sad."

I could feel my face brighten up. "Really?"

"Yep!" She nodded as she beamed. Her eyes looked at me, a warm expression plastered on her face.

"Because I have you, guys." She smiled. "There was never a day that I felt like I was fighting alone, because whenever I see you guys, I remember that youʼre fighting alongside me too."

Her words managed to touch my heart. I stood up and without a warning, I hugged her with a smile curved in my lips. I felt her arms hug me back so I just buried my face onto her shoulder.

~~~~~~

Months later...

MABILIS na lumipas ang mga araw hanggang sa namalayan ko na lamang na lumipas na pala ang mga buwan. I woke up only to find out that itʼs already late March. Itʼs been five months ever since Cora got confined here in Richmond Medical Center to undergo treatments for her leukemia.

Holidays passed and I spent it with her here in the hospital. Kasama naming nag-celebrate si Tito David just like how we used to last time. Nag-video call na lang kami nina Mom at Dad dahil nasa ibang bansa sila noong time na 'yon para asikasuhin ang isa pang branch ng company namin. Same thing happened on New Yearʼs Eve and my 23rd birthday.