Chapter 21 ○ Umbrella

𝔹𝕒𝕔𝕜𝕘𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕 𝕄𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕔: Turbulence

𝕎𝕠𝕠𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕘

This is a lazy Sunday, for once. Well, not for everyone. Seonghwa is already cleaning his room while Hongjoong writes new music, Yunho and Yeosang are working on a new choreo, and Mingi is talking to Jongho in the living room. I'm busy cooking breakfast, but I haven't seen San yet. I bet he's still deep sleeping in his bed. I flip the last pancake and decide a room delivery is in order. I do find him hugged to Shiber, but he isn't as peaceful as I thought he would be. He seems troubled.

"Y-Yeon-jin... please..."

"San-ah? Is everything alright?"

"I'm not going to weigh you down... I swear..."

"San! Wake up!"

I shake him, because he's also starting to cry and I'm getting upset about the whole situation. He does wake up and he looks at me with eyes open wide.

"Have you seen a ghost? Who's Yeon-jin?"

"Who? I was having a nightmare, that's all."

"That much I figured. Care to elaborate? You look distressed."

"I don't really want to talk about it."

"But I do. And I think you need to, by the way. If you keep things in, they explode, sooner or later. Please, San, talk to me."

He goes silent for a long, infinite minute. Then he looks at me and he sighs.

"Fine. Yeon-jin was my first, big love. We were together for two years. We were talking about marriage, even. She knew my parents and grandparents, they adored her. We looked like the perfect couple. Then, she took off to college from Namhae to Seoul, and she decided she wanted to enjoy life fully without baggage. And the baggage was me. She wanted to meet someone her age and date casually. She left me suddenly and heartbroken. I was in a million pieces. I would have done anything to make her stay. We never even spoke again, after she went to Seoul. I don't know where she is now or how she's doing. I hope she's fine."

"I hope she's burning in Hell."

"Wooyoung!"

"What? She used you and you still wish her well, I don't get you. I hope she got the same treatment from somebody she fell for, and got to think about what she did to you. What goes around comes around. Hopefully. It still affects you and I'm sorry to hear that. I can't do much about it, but I cooked you pancakes. Maybe they will help sweeten this morning at least."

He smiles sweetly, then stamps a gentle kiss on my temple. "You're the best. Of course they will help, you're the greatest cook who ever lived."

"And you're the least credible liar in the world. Here, eat."

I watch him devouring the meal so quickly I fear he will choke on the food. It's comforting to know I can be of help, though, with such a simple gesture. Life can be so complicated and without any little amenity like this, we would be lost. As much as it hurts, I'm happy to know more about San's past life. It helps me understand him a little bit more, adding layers to his soul. He's one of the good ones. Probably too good for his own sake.

***

𝕊𝕒𝕟

I've had better awakenings, I have to admit. But at least, Wooyoung was there to soothe me when I finally woke up. What did I expect, when I went to bed thinking about her last night? Now he knows about her. I feel lighter because of it, she became a shared burden. And he didn't even flinch at it, I mean, she's still an ex and he's the one I'm... seeing, I suppose, it doesn't go well hand in hand, but he was supportive and caring about it, ten points to Wooyoung. I still have a weird sensation on my skin because of the whole situation, and it's invading all other areas of my mind right now. I want to shake it off, and I will, no matter the consequences.