Chapter 23 ○ Saranghae

𝔹𝕒𝕔𝕜𝕘𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕 𝕄𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕔: Dancing Like Butterfly Wings

𝕐𝕦𝕟𝕙𝕠

I look at Mingi with awe while he explains why we are out in a cafe instead than at the dorm. Do those dorks really think we don't know about them? I find this amusing. They must think they're being subtle or something. Subtle? While they're basically all over each other all day every day? I must resist the urgency to laugh out loud, Mingi looks so ceremonious. I take another sip at my coffee to suffocate my giggling.

"Please, don't tell them I heard them. Just roll with it. Whether or not they decide to inform us about their relationship, it's up to them. Act normal when we get home. OK?"

We all nod, but we all share the same diverted look. They've been so obvious we've known that since day one, they are possibly the last to accept their liaison as official. Better late than never, I suppose. I'm extremely curious to see how they will confront us once we're back. While we're in exile from our own house, we get updates on the new songs by Hongjoong and Mingi, so that we can start working on the choreos to show everyone at KQ. They are almost finished with the first two, then the dancing can begin. I'm overly excited. We lose ourselves talking about our future, near and far, possible and impossible. We're daydreaming and our eyes are shining bright. Suddenly, we look at the clock in the cafeteria and it's almost 8 PM.

"Time to go, guys. I'm sure Wooyoung is cooking already." Seonghwa calls us back from our delusions and does a reality check. We stand up, pay and leave.

It looks like everyone is almost scared to enter our dorm. Everyone but Jongho. Jongho goes straight through the door without even knocking, shouting "We're home!" and, as Seonghwa predicted, the sweet perfume of an exquisite jjigae reaches our nostrils.

"I was starting to think I would have to invite the neighbours to finish up the amount of kimchi jjigae I cooked. It's late! Sit down and eat." Wooyoung sounds utterly serious. But I know he's not, he just wants to appear so. His jjigae is indeed delicious, as is anything he prepares for us. San was already seated when we arrived, and greeted us with a cheerful smile.

"Mingi. I found your note on the table. Say, any reason why you decided to leave me and Wooyoung home while everyone went out with you?"

Mingi almost chokes on the soup. I'm trying hard not to laugh, but I have to hide my face in my hands, pretending to wipe it with the handkerchief.

"I, uh... you see, hmm... I..."

San laughs and pats him on the back. "Don't sweat it, I'm messing with you. I know you must have heard us this morning. It's okay. We don't want to have secrets with you guys anyway. Me and Wooyoung decided we want to give ourselves a chance. We are officially dating now. We thought you deserved to know. I hope this doesn't change anything between the eight of us."

"The only thing that changes is the fact that you two now know that too!" I can't contain myself anymore.

"Come again?"

"C'mon, San. You two have been drooling over each other since the first day at KQ and we were there to witness it all along. I even told you so to begin with, and you denied it! I'm just happy to see you've both finally welcomed it. You're going to be happy, I know it."

He doesn't say anything. He just stands up and hugs me tight. Oh, San. You're such a marshmallow.

***

𝕊𝕒𝕟

Six smiling faces are looking at me, and I'm overwhelmed by the love that I'm sensing. It's such an endearing feeling to be accepted by everyone for who you are, who you love, no questions asked. They purely just want our happiness, that's all. These are my brothers. I hug them all, one by one, and kiss them on the cheek, that's my way of showing affection and they know it by now. Then, I go to Wooyoung, who's been looking and smiling, but saying nothing. Sometimes, he can be strangely shy for his personality.

"What's up, baby? Cat got your tongue?"

"No. I just don't want to end up crying, so I don't say anything at all."

That's when I notice his eyes are sparkling, little tears fighting to come out. He's as beautiful as he could ever be. I put a hand on his neck and I kiss him softly. He shudders a little, surprised but welcoming it, and loses himself in it. He finally lets the tears roll down his cheeks, and our friends applaud. I smile in between the kiss, entangling my fingers in his hair.

***

Mingi insisted Wooyoung stayed with me for the night, so we're getting ready for bed. All showered up, we're in our very sexy dinosaur and teddy bears pajamas. Raurr.

"He's very kind to us. We should get him a little gift or something."

"You're right, baby. We'll think about it tomorrow. It's nice to be together for one night, no?"

"Yes, we should do this every once in a while. I feel safe."

"We are safe. We have the best brothers looking out for us. We are never alone."

"And we never will be. We are lucky."

I cuddle with him from behind and put my nose through his hair, sniffing his shampoo and the sweet scent of his skin, then I kiss him behind his ear.

"Saranghae, Wooyoung."

"Saranghae, San."

***

Author's note: after a spicy chapter, a sweet one is due. San's soft side is definitely coming out and Wooyoung is letting his defence down. I love seeing them grow step by step!

Have you guys seen the new Ateez official platform, b.stage? They're already very active and published a lot of content since this morning. It's in Korean only with no translation available, but at least we've got a new way to communicate with them!

 It's in Korean only with no translation available, but at least we've got a new way to communicate with them!