Chapter 31 ○ Let's Get Burning Now

𝔹𝕒𝕔𝕜𝕘𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕 𝕄𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕔: Hala Hala

𝕎𝕠𝕠𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕘

Weeks pass awfully fast while we practice our performance in front of an ever growing audience of friends and colleagues. Our teachers set another date for our second try, and it is tomorrow already. I'm putting sweat and blood into our rehearsals, focusing on the spectators and my feeling with them. It isn't an easy task, and it takes my everything not to freeze on the spot, but I am mostly succeeding in my effort. I'm rolling in bed, thinking about the amount of concentration it will take me to dance tomorrow, when Jongho finally complains.

"Are you done making those sounds? I'm trying to sleep here."

"Sorry baby bear. I'm nervous. What if I ruin everything again?"

He snorts, then sits on the bed and turns the light on. "You won't. You trained hard for this, you proved yourself in front of everybody on the dance floor, what's to worry, still? I'm sure you will do great. The more you doubt yourself, the more you will be faltering."

"I know, but I can't bring myself to be calm right now. When I close my eyes and try to sleep, I picture myself frozen in the middle of the room, just like last time. I couldn't stand it if..."

"I understand. But I promise you, it won't happen. Now, do you want to sleep with San tonight? Maybe it will calm you down. I can take in Mingi."

"No. He is surely sleeping already, I don't want to wake him up and make him anxious. Thanks for that, though. And for the talk. I feel slightly better already. I'll try to fall asleep. Good night, Haribo."

***

As we're walking towards the academy, my hands get sweaty and I repeatedly pick my skin out of frustration. San walk over and takes my hand in his, kissing it softly.

"Calm down, babygirl. Don't be so hard on yourself. We're here for you, all 7 of us. You'll be fine."

His smile is reassuring, but I can't help it. My head only pictures the worst case scenario in this moment. We step into the classroom and the commission has already sat down. They're the same people from last time, and I want to prove them I won't fail today. I take a deep breath and follow the others in line in front of the teachers. Hongjoong starts talking.

"Good morning, sunbaenim. Thank you for giving us a second chance. We have prepared better and trained hard for this day. We hope our performance and songs will be up to your standards."

He bows deeply, then steps back and looks at us with a smile. He tilts his head and prepares for the first dance: it's Pirate King. Music starts and the tension is building up with every second passing. It's my time to either shine, or be defeated for good. I miss the first step because my body is stiff. I'm sweating, and yet feel frozen. But I won't let it get to me, not today. I close my eyes and focus on the choreography. One, two, three. I catch up. Although my limbs are heavy, I'm able to move, to open my eyes, to look at the commission, even. My confidence slowly cancels all traces of fear in me,  and I feel like a million dollars when I finally start dancing with everything that I have. This is Wooyoung, bitches, and you better watch out.

***

𝕊𝕒𝕟

I take a quick look at Wooyoung, and if it seemed he was hesitating at first, he's now dancing like nobody's business now. He's fully blooming and I am so proud of him. He's showing everyone what he's capable of and what a dancer he truly is. He's second to no one. The song finishes and the second and last one, From, starts. The transition is smooth, suave, almost, and we're able to pull it off with ease. We made it. Teachers may now judge us however they like, but we made it from beginning to end and we did not falter. We acted as a group and that's what's important. They take a moment to talk between themselves, then speak directly to us.

"Thanks for your dedication. We had the opportunity to watch you perform, to hear what you composed, and to discuss your fate within the academy and, possibly, the industry. Although there is great margin to improve every aspect we just quoted, we do believe you have a considerable potential. We will organise a meeting with our producing team to work on new songs and on your debut, which will be in a few months, if you will be prepared enough and will accept the contract KQ Entertainment will offer you. We hope this is pleasing news for you."

Hongjoong recollects his jaw from the floor. Yunho is barely containing himself from jumping and same goes for Wooyoung. Yeosang doesn't seem to believe what's happening... or doesn't fully get it. Either way, he's confused. Mingi and Jongho smile and look at the others. As for me... I would like to kiss each and everyone, despite their will, but I know better - I will just wait for the commission to be gone, then my clingy agenda will proceed.

"Thank you, sunbaenim. We will wait for your contact, then. Thanks for the opportunity, thanks for your time and attention. You won't regret it." Hongjoong can't stop smiling while he talks and he's truly a sight. He turns around to look at us and he throws a fist in the air, shouting. That's when all hell breaks loose. Everyone starts jumping and screaming and hugging, and I, well, I start kissing each of them just as I promised myself. We suddenly see a flash, and we realise the commission has taken a picture of us in the middle of the celebration. We will treasure this very moment in time forever.

***

Author's note: sorry for not writing yesterday, but I wasn't feeling well. I'm not much better today to be totally honest, but I did my best. I hope you're having a good time instead. I won't be writing tomorrow because I'm out of town for a concert I'm singing in, and since I don't write in the weekends, this means you'll be hearing from me next week.

What are you doing this weekend? On Saturday I'm going to a Comics Fair and they also have K-Pop stands and exhibitions, I'm meeting two good friends of mine there, can't wait 😊