Chapter 36 ○ Hakuna Matata

𝔹𝕒𝕔𝕜𝕘𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕 𝕄𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕔: Wave

𝕊𝕒𝕟

The battle for our seat in the spotlight has been tight and hard, but we've been victorious so far and we are feeling quite pleased with what we've come up with so far. We have to improve and enhance our performance, always better ourselves for our sake and the public's, but for rookies as we are, this starting point is not bad at all. KQ has been pleased with us as well and has complimented our solid work in the field.

The... restriction they had put on Wooyoung and me hasn't really taken a toll on our relationship, instead it has ignited a spark of spite towards the rule itself, rule which Woo and I haven't followed in the slightest. Despite Hongjoong giving us the death stare every once in a while, we've been walking the line diligently enough not to be reprimanded, borderline enough to be visible and inspire pure chaos. People have started noticing us, our singular bond, and they seem to love it enough to support us and incite us to give them more. The word Woosan is spreading on the net and the little umbrella emoji is often followed by a cute rainbow. As much as netizens ask not assume anything about us and our sexuality, many people tend to notice all the little gestures and stares between me and Wooyoung which give away the true nature of our relationship in front of the whole world. It all doesn't seem to matter all that much, until one day Hongjoong comes to me and Woo with a dark face.

"San-ah, Wooyoung-ah, there's people for you in the living room. They want to talk to you."

"To the two of us? Not to all eight?"

"No. Just you two."

"Did they tell you what is it about?"

"They just told me... summon Woosan."

"Oh."

"San-ah, you've got this. We've talked about it so many times. Stand up for yourself. We've got your back. Always."

"Thanks, hyung."

I automatically hold Wooyoung's hand before walking into the living room. We look at each other and smile nervously, then step in. There are three men sitting on the sofa, sipping tea. One is Yoon Il-seong, the one who talked to us when we signed the contract. I've never seen the other two, though. I cough to clear up my voice.

"You called for us. We've come."

"Yes, thanks, Mr. Choi. Mr. Jung."

We bow slightly. I'd like to cut the bullshit and go straight to the point, but I know better than to say it out loud.

"I know we haven't started with the right foot, the first time we met, Mr. Choi. I remember you being quite adamant about your position and frustrated with my choice of words... and with the ones I didn't speak. I apologise for that. I was hasty, judgmental and rude. I was speaking on behalf of KQ, but with my own filter of fears and worries. This is why my apology comes both as a personal one, and as one from the whole KQ Entertainment installment. These fine men are here to represent the company as well. Other departments."

"Why are the others not present? What you can say in front of us, you can say in front of them as well. They're our brothers."

"Of course, Mr. Jung. But we thought, since the matter in hand is of the delicate kind, you would like to discuss it in private first. You can then refer it to your friends afterwards, or we can also do it for you, if you prefer it to be more official, so to speak."

"Whatever. I still don't understand why you're here. Just to say you're sorry? It doesn't take three of you to do that."

"No, it doesn't, Mr. Choi. We've come here also to make you aware of the opposite impression your unit is having on the public. You are absolutely conscious of the fact we've been looking at your moves as a group, and as individuals, just as we should do as a company. There are certain pairings that work best on the crowd, and, well, Woosan happens to be on top of the pyramid in this scheme. People love you. They adore your chemistry, your synergy. They feel you as pure and crystalline."

"We're not stupid and we also check Twitter, YouTube... we've seen the comments, the hashtags. We knew that before you came here. Why are you telling us, though?"

"Surely, you're not saying we should be overdo our interactions for entertainment's sake? Am I getting this right?" my knuckles are turning white.

"Of course not. Don't misunderstand us. We don't want you to fake anything. We want you to be yourselves in front of the screen, on stage, when there's a camera. If before today we told you to keep it a secret, we're just telling you not to hide anymore. Behave as you see fit, of course with decency as anyone would do."

I scoff and Woo looks at me with big eyes. I can tell he's confused, just as I am. Is he sincere, or is he playing master of puppets? Either way, we have one thing less to worry about starting from today, it seems.

"I'll be blunt, it's my only way. This sounds shady. But it's also the best for us and the group, so we'll take it gladly, Mr. Yoon. We're happy you could change your mind about our relationship, and we hope it wasn't merely for a matter of views and engagement."

"I appreciate the candour, Mr. Jung. I would be lying if I told you the stats didn't play a major part in my shift. But since you're asking, my personal views were never those of a homophobe to begin with. I was just thinking and acting with the good of the company in mind. I hope you can forgive me and that we can move forward starting from today. It had nothing to do with you as people."

I weigh his word very carefully before replying. He does seem sincere, and he just admitted to caring about the statistics before his own views, he wouldn't do that if he wanted to play us... or so I suppose. I'm kind of easy to fool, I have to admit. But I'm tired of this and I'm not able to hold grudges anyway.

"I consider this settled with you, Mr. Yoon. You cleared up the matter completely and I want to go on with my life, personally and as a group. Woo?"

"I agree. This might be too good to be true, but you are too, San, and you're real. I'll take a leap of faith on this one as well." He shines a bright smile at the three men.

"We're glad to hear this. Mr. Choi, Mr. Jung. Let me wish you a good day ahead of you, and thank you and your brothers in arms for a marvelous job on your debut. We will keep in contact. Update your friends, and thanks for the tea."

With the blink of an eye, they're gone, and me and Wooyoung are left alone in the room, not knowing exactly how to feel, but lighter.

***

Author's note: thanks for the read. I'm feeling slightly better and a longer chapter is the result :) readers have risen again and so have the views, I am so grateful, keep on sharing this fic if you feel like it ❤

Comeback is also nearer, only 10 days to go! Are you ready? I can't wait!