20 - Midsummers

"Wait, JJ got arrested?" Sarah's eyes widened. It was two days later and we were talking next to the kitchen island. I'd woken up late because I'd trouble sleeping and was feeling horrible. I had no idea when I was gonna see JJ again and it was stressing me out. Everything was going so well.

"Yeah," I confirmed looking down. 

"But what did he do?" 

"Pope told me that he asked JJ to get revenge on Topper, so he proposed to sink his boat. It was Pope's idea, but JJ took the blame for him." I explained. After JJ'd left with Shoupe, we all went at Kie's house and I cried in her arms for a while before we actually talked about it.

"Oh, are you okay?" She took my hands.

"I'm fine, I just-" I was interrupted by my little sister entering the room.

"You guys are not dressed?" Wheezie asked.

"No, I'm not going." Sarah replied dryly. I didn't know what they were talking about at all.

"Wait, where are you not doing?"

"It's midsummers! Sarah has been talking about it since last year." she told me and turned to Rose. "Sarah says she's not going."

"The hell she isn't." My stepmother chuckled. "Your father is being coronated as Guardian of Knights of the Rhododendron. You're going."

"The what?" I frowned at Wheezie and she raised her shoulders.

"You're not my mother. I don't have to do what you tell me." Sarah said. I gave her a warning look. I knew she didn't like Rose, but this wasn't something to play with.

Rose rolled her eyes and told Ward to take care of his daughter. Our dad looked at us. 

"Okay, I have no idea what is going on, can someone catch me up?" I asked. 

"Dad is getting a promotion and there is a party tonight. You need to come it is so cool!" She took my hands making me smile.

"Sarah, what if you just paste on a smile and you go, and we all have a good time, all right?" Ward cleared up.

---

When we got there, I saw Pope working with a barbecue. I walked to him and gave him a hug. I saw in his face how much pain he was going trough since JJ took the blame. I knew what it was like.

"You okay?" I asked. 

"No, are you?" he replied. I shook my head. 

"Can't believe he did this." I threw my arms in the air. I was lying. JJ would do anything for us, even for the worse.

"Excuse me, sir. Do we have to shuck these ourselves? It might mess up my costume." An English voice appeared behind us. I rolled my eyes and turned over to see Kiara.

"We wouldn't want that now, would we?" Pope joked as he did his check with her. 

"That accent was bad." I laughed. We looked at all the rich people dancing. They didn't give a crap about all the problems others would have. If they were fine, it was fine.

"You've ever seen this many kooks in one place?" Kiara asked. There was a lot. They didn't give a crap about all the problems others would have. If they were fine, it was fine. I hated most of them.

"Yeah, last year." Pope affirmed. They continued talking and I zoomed out. I couldn't hold myself back from thinking about JJ. The fact that I was here in the sun in a blue dress and that he was probably sitting in a jail cell. I wanted to talk to him so bad.