27 - Operation

I felt like any spark I had was gone. I was broken. I left the only person who made me happy. Since I got home, I talked to no one and spent the rest of the day crying. I was mad at JJ, and mad at myself for trusting him.

I was also angry. He lied to me while looking in my own two eyes. What an asshole. Part of me hated him, and the other part still loved him so much. 

The worst part of it was that I didn't have time to live the breakup. I had to get gold with him. I didn't even know he'd told anyone. 

I got outside and saw the Twinkie waiting for me. I wanted so bad to get back into the house. But I couldn't, I was doing this for John B. I wiped a tear and opened the door. 

"Hey!" Kiara and Pope greeted me. They were all so happy to get the gold. I faked a smile and got in. I went to the back and saw Sarah waiting for me. She hugged me and told me to sit at her left. 

When I sat down, I saw JJ in the rearview mirror and my heart dropped. He was sitting in the passenger seat next to John B. He was looking down. 

Seeing his face again hurt so much.

"Are you excited, Maya?" Pope asked. 

"Uh, yeah." I smiled. 

John B cheered and started driving. JJ didn't look at me once during the ride. I kept myself from staring too, it would be too painful.

We got near Mrs. Crain's house after a while.

"Pope, you got rope?" John B checked.

"Yes, sir." 

"Pulley?" 

"Check." Kiara replied.

"Dark clothes."

"Yeah," Sarah said,

"Shit." I muttered. Everyone in the back looked at me.

"What?" John B didn't keep his eyes off the road.

"She's wearing a fricking light gray sweater." Kiara complained. 

"I'm sorry! I was, uh, in a hurry." I lied.

"It's fine, just don't get caught." Sarah smirked. I fake slapped her and laughed.

"Alright. Let's go." John B stopped in front of a stone wall. He got out of the car and went to open the back door. "Wait, wait." 

"What?" We asked when he was blocking us from getting out.

"I wanna say thank you, guys. Seriously." He told us. The others smiled and looked at each other. "It means a lot to me that you're here tonight."

I finally smiled. I made the right choice coming here.

"Always." Kiara answered him.

"Alright, we done with the circle jerk? Can we go do this?" JJ rolled his eyes. 

We left the car and climbed over the wall. 

The garden was creepier in the night. Our flashlights were barely functioning, and the only thing we could hear was the wind making the branches move.

When we saw the house, we all got a little bit scared. The house was red and white, and very tall. It was like a tiny castle. 

A wall light turned on.

"Shit!"

"Go, go, go, go." Pope moved the group behind a bush and we got down.

"Flashlights!" Kiara warned us.