26 - The liar

During the night, Ward came in my room with a weird look on his face.

"I have something to tell you."

I got up and wondered what his announcement would be. Maybe he would be mad that I entered the house through my window yesterday to avoid Mom. 

"Isabel is gone."

A breath escaped my mouth. I had never heard a sentence so relieving like that one. I would constantly get anxious since Mom was home. But this was all over now. There was no need to worry about bumping into her in the hallway or about her coming into my room to sell me drugs anymore. 

With all of that behind me, I genuinely hoped that I wouldn't ever see her again.

"Good," I let out a sigh. I attempted to look for a sense of joy in my father's expression, yet I couldn't find any. He looked discouraged.

"She stole the money that was in my room's safe. Everything's gone."

Not that I was surprised. We both knew the real reason she'd gotten back here. It wasn't for us. It was all for money. It'd always been.

"How much?"

"One hundred thousand." Ward admitted. I hated my mom so much. She was a manipulative, self-centered little bitch who ought to be killed. I meant it. Saying that directly in front of her would have been extremely satisfying. However, she ran because she was too embarrassed about telling us that she needed money.

"I'm sorry." I said after a short silence. Sincerely, I was sorry for him. Dad was the one who lost and he was a greater father than she would ever be. He didn't deserve this.

"It's okay, sweetie" He reassured me. "It's not your fault."

He walked over to give me a hug. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and felt his around my back. I felt somewhat safe because of how tightly he hugged me. I had never received a hug from a parent before.

It wasn't that bad, having someone care about you.

---

The next morning, Kiara and John B came to my house to talk. I guided them in my backyard and we sat on transats next to the pool.

"Are you okay? You look tired." Kie asked. I didn't think they would notice. I'd put concealer on the dark circles under my eyes.

"I'm fine, don't worry." I assured them. They did not look convinced, but they chose to let it go. 

"So, we came to pick you up." John B admitted. 

"What? Why?" 

"We're going to get the gold at Parcel Nine tonight, and we need your help to make the plan." He continued. 

"Uh, yeah. Okay," I accepted. In the first place, I'd wanted a peaceful day, but I knew how much the gold was important for them.

"Great," Kiara smiled.

"So, how's JJ?" I asked. We hadn't talk since two days and it was starting to feel like a whole month.

"He's good," Kie answered. 

"Better than when you guys stopped hanging." John B chuckled. "He got so much better since he made you come back in our group."

Kiara hit him subtly in the chest with her elbow to stop him.

I frowned my brows. What was he talking about? How had JJ been after the pogues had learned about us? After we ended our relationship for a while.

"Wait, what are you talking about?