𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

LOS ANGELES, CALI

LOS ANGELES, CALI.

" you look absolutely stunning, Ephesian." Mamá complimented, her eyes glued to mine as she smiled brightly.

I smile shyly, reaching the last step of the stairs. my heels clinking underneath the hardened floors. " Thank you mamá,"

Mamá wore an auburn brown maxi dress with sable brown heels and a black tote bag. Her black hair was styled in a similar way as mine; both of us wearing our hair in a low slick ponytail. I wore a white long sleeve blouse with a black pencil skirt and black heels.

It's been a while since I went to church, and I wanted to make a good expression seeing as though I would be seeing some familiar faces.

Mamá and I head out the door, and waltzed over to my car. I get inside and buckle up, then turn on the ignition. Since it had been a while since I was home, mom gave me directions on where to go and went through short cuts to avoid Los Angeles' Traffic.

" So, how are you feeling this morning?"

I shrugged, biting the inside of my cheek. " I don't know, I'm feeling okay. but I feel nervous right now,"

In my peripheral, I could see her brows furrow. " why do you feel nervous?"

I shrug again, " no clue. maybe it's just all in my head,"

" You know our church is nothing but welcoming. they won't judge you, you know. You're practically their little angel." Mama pointed out.

" I know. I hope I can shake this feeling off," i mumbled.

Every since I woke up this morning, I had a feeling. It wasn't uneasiness. Or anxiety. just nerves. like a swarm of butterflies inside my stomach that were threatening to burst at any given second. As we entered the parking lot of our church, that feeling grew. strengthened.

I turn off the ignition, inhaling a deep breath. Mama grabbed my hand, " When you're ready, we will go inside. okay? the sermon doesn't begin until eight."

I smile appreciatively, " Thank you."

We stay inside the car for the next ten minutes. Until my heart could steady it's rhythm. Until my mind could probably function. Until my body was not screaming at me anymore.

Inhaling another breath, I get out of the car with my legs in hand and open the back door to grab our purses. Whirling around the car, I hand my mother her tote bag and slid my purse onto my shoulder.

I straighten my posture as we walked side by side, passing by some of the people that was apart of the church. the sounds of tambourines, drums, guitars, and the choir singing overwhelmed my ears. It wasn't an overwhelming ' I can't do this' type of feeling. it was rather a feeling of tranquility. being in god's house felt so natural; so complete.